1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British Napoleonic Red

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by PropBlast, Jun 26, 2020.

1. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Does anyone have a guide or sbs for painting British Napoleonic Red? I use Vallejo acrylics. Would like to see different people's approaches.
  2. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Are you painting an officer or soldier/NCO? Different shades of red apply: officers cloth tended to be scarlet and was of better quality. Other ranks clothing was of cheaper quality and so the shade could vary a lot, from dark red to an almost brick red.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    +1 to what Richard said above.

No expertise claimed on my part, but I have also read that in hot climates such as Spain or the West Indies, the fabric could weather and fade to an orange-ish brown (russet) colour.

- Steve
    Viking Bob likes this.
  4. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I just wanted a basic guide. that's all. Would like to see the differences between how people paint officers and nco's. Also the effect of weathering in hot climates like Portugal, Spain, etc.
    Viking Bob likes this.
  5. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    This may read a little stupid but unless anybody was actually there it would be hard to really says, any surviving uniforms may be not as it was 200 years ago, so you can only do what illustrations and paintings portray.

bd9f887631acd0085f2f94a85ca617b3.jpg

This would be a good a place as any to start from.

Other than that as Richard wrote.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

I would go with what Bablefish has said
  7. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Am just painting a bust of a Coldstream Guards private at Waterloo, by Stormtroopers. Have primed with Vallejo grey primer then gave the whole thing (except the face) a drybrush with thinned down black ink to pick out the lines and shadows. Then blocked in the red jacket with 3 coats of thinned down Vallejo dark red (946) as a base coat, which looks quite dull and subdued. Will then cover with thinned vermillion (947) to add a little brightness, with highlights produced by adding a little (I stress a little) yellow and the tiniest touch of white to the vermillion. Don't overdo the white as everything will just turn pink. Shade with the addition of a little deep green (970) to the vermillion. This works for me, experiment with the nuances before applying to the figure. Same general approach should apply when painting an officer's scarlet. Subtlety of colour transition is the watchword as I've found that reds can easily turn to something sludgy if you're not careful.

Have fun.
    JonH, PropBlast, DaddyO and 1 other person like this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I second what Babelfish, Malc, and Richard have said.
  9. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Some Pictures I took during a visit to the Belgian Army Museum at Brussels - illustrating the difference in the dye and qualitity of material between Officer`s uniforms and rank and file that had an effect on the color of the tunic.
    IMG_7975.JPG IMG_7976.JPG
    Redcap, Babelfish and Blind Pew like this.
  10. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Malc, you do yourself a disservice as you are 100% spot on. The uniforms were hand made in what would almost be considered a cottage industry by today's standards. The fabrics and dyes are not like those we enjoy today. Nowhere near as durable for a start, not as consistent either. Plus throw in 200 years of exposure to daylight and.... they all deteriorate.

I would suggest, start with a darker shade that you otherwise would, or the red will start to look washed out. Start off darker still for officers. I hope this makes sense.
    Martin64 likes this.
  11. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Second that - if I remember the technique of Bill Horan correctly he told that the red tones of British uniforms are best highlighted by mixing flesh tones into the red. For extreme highlights I added in one case small amounts of buff tones into the red what worked well but it was not for a British uniform.
    PropBlast likes this.
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom