1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British haversacks

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by thegoodsgt, May 10, 2004.

1. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    I was looking through illustrations in the Osprey series of books on 19th century British uniforms, and I'm curious about haversacks. Were they worn over either the left or right shoulder? Did it depend on what other items the soldier was wearing at the time?
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Steve,

I was looking through Ian Knight's book "Go To Your God Like A Soldier: The British Soldier Fighting for Empire, 1837-1902...IMO THE book on the Victorian soldier. It shows most illustrations, drawings and "real" soldiers, with them wearing their haversacks over the right shoulder resting on the left hip no matter what other equipment he's wearing. This was a common practice by most armies of the world at this time also.
    Hope that helps. What Brit are you painting btw?
  3. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Jason,

I was looking over the Art Girona 91st Highlander, and the haversack is portrayed opposite of what you described.

The books I've been looking through the most are Osprey's "British Army on Campaign" series. Most of the illustrations throughout the four books show the haversack worn on the left hip, but Number 2 includes several illustrations with it on the right hip (plates A2, A3, B1, B3, C1 for example). Number 4 shows the haversack worn on the right hip (D2 and H1). I have a couple of other books that I haven't read yet (such as Featherstone's "Weapons and Equipment of the Victorian Soldier.")

I was just wondering if common practice in the field allowed soldiers to wear it whatever way was most comfortable for them.
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Steve,

It probably depended in large part what the officers and n.c.o.'s allowed. However, on campaign it's what makes the soldier more comfortable.
    Tough question. Being a CW reenactor, I've always worn my haversack and canteen over the right shoulder on left hip with the cartridge box on the right. This is to help distribute the weight.
    I don't have the Osprey book in front of me, but if he had a "belly box" I supose wearing the haversack on the left shoulder would be work.