1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP British Gurkha

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mil-mart, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Over here in the U.K a lot of the news has been about Joanna Lumley's fight with the British Parliament to give the Gurkha's the legal right to retire in the country that they would die for, and often have. So with that in mind I've started on a very topical bust, no not Ms Lumleys;) but an officer in the Gurkha Regiment.
    Many thanks for looking and appreciate your comments.
    Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

Von Luch and Ray like this.
  2. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    more pics

More Pics

Attached Files:

3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    He's gone grey Ken, photos don't show his character.
    Carl.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Ken,

I echoe Carl reply.
    It seems another awesome job :)
  5. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Gurkha

Hi Ken ,
    What an interesting subject for sure , and a fitting tribute to these brave warriors , like to see more close ups especially of the facial features , keep an eye on the rim thickness ..Is it going to be based on any particular individual ? medals ? which Regt ..Transport , Engineers/Signals ?

Is this a sculpt from nothing or have you used a base torso like from El Greco ?

If you need more information/pictures then I have the REGIMENT magazine , now sadly out of print so feel free to ask , also don't forget the museum at Winchester as well .

Nap
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl, thanks for the comment I''m afraid I've got a crap camera or more than likely it's my technique :) it' seems that when i take the b/w pics I don't get as much flashback. I'll try more pics tomorrow in daylight and post.

Pedro, many thanks I also hope he turns out OK. (y)

Jon, thanks for the link to your pics , I do remember them now and looking through them again , the bust I'm doing is I think the same Regiment as the officer stood with his wife next to the statue.

Kev, Yep really enjoying this subject , here's the picture I used as reference,
    I've cast my own very rough torso and also a base just to speed things up, so should be a bit more productive this year. Thanks for the comments.

Cheers guys.
    Ken

Attached Files:

8. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    From what I can see so far a very challenging project and it looks good already - keep up the good work. RobH(y)
  9. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Ken,

If I may comment, the crown appears a little lower in the sculpt than in the photos. Also you may want to bulk out the chest before you add the details? O/w I think this looks very promising. I would have preferred a bust of Joanna Lumley in her heyday...:)

Rgds Victor
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rob , you're right about a challenging project, but i'ts an enjoyable one. Once I felt I had the basic facial features right I don't want to put it down.
    Thanks for the comment.

Cheers Ken
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Victor, many thanks for your comments, I'll take a look at the top of his hat and adjust , in regards to thickening out his chest, it's already done. I'll post more pics this morning, very much appreciated.

Cheers Ken
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Update :More Pics

A few more pics to update the progress , I've completed the Pouch belt ,the medals, his left shoulder and the clothing below the belt. Still a lot to do . Many thanks for looking and I appreciate all comments.
    Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ken,

That's a very impressive piece of sculpting mate. You've really captured the look and feel of the ghurka.

He looks dignified and proud. Well done
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Ken. Wouldn't you be better doing the medal ribbons, in lead foil? I've got some in stock, if you haven't got any.
    Carl.
  15. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Ken

Ken: I appreciate your explanation of how the idea for this bust came to you
    from the news of the day. What is it about a broad brimmed hat sitting atop
    a noble head at a jaunty angle. . . The word that comes to mind is

Dignity . . . indeed.

You're off to a great start.

K Kid
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony, pleased you commented on him looking dignified and proud, it wasn't something I purposely set out to do, however when your reference material is of an officer in the Gurkha Regiment in full dress, how could he look anything but . :)

Carl, great idea about using lead foil, I'll bear it in mind the next time. I've shaved down the medals a bit so they now don't look as bulky. (y)

Cheers matey's
    Ken
  17. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rick, appreciate your comments, many thanks .
    Cheers Ken
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    well done mate a great job on the sculpting and really nice to see these blokes get the recognition they deserve and have been denied, met many a Gurkha during my time in the army and everyone of them was a sound bloke.

Steve(y)
  19. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve, yep you're spot on about the recognition being over due. Many thanks for the comments.

Cheers Ken