1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British Army Cape Issue.??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mick3272, Feb 3, 2019.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi,
    Can any one tell me when the Cape was issued to O/R especially Sgts in the British Army. ( Infantry of the Line.)
    Similar to that shown below.
    Thanks Mick
    [IMG]
    oldtrousers likes this.
  2. Windy Active Member

England
    Hi Mick. I think this is a Bandsman's cape. Foot Guards winter ceremonial dress is normally the greatcoat.

Windy
    oldtrousers and mick3272 like this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Windy.
    Yes it is. your right. I am trying to find out when capes were issued to O/R of British Infantry of the line. I just put the picture up as an example of a cape.
    Thanks
    Mick.
  4. Windy Active Member

England
    Ah yes. So you did. I clearly didn't read your post properly! I'm not sure, I've never seen them worn except by bandsmen, and the longer version worn by mounted troops. I'll do some more digging.

Windy
    mick3272 likes this.
  5. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Up until 1901, orders of dress for field days etc. are still instructing that O.R. s should carry cape and greatcoat. The first pattern of khaki greatcoat (1902) had a cape built in. So I would guess for as long as they were issued the grey greatcoat.

Martin
    mick3272 likes this.
  6. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Martin,
    So would it be fair to assume that dark blue ish Capes ( Not a a greatcoat with c cape built in) would have been in use in the late 1870s
    Thanks Mick
  7. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    I believe the cape was separate but could be worn over the greatcoat. That's why rank insignia is worn on the lower arm of cloaks and greatcoats.
    Martin
    mick3272 likes this.
  8. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    The cape was fastened to the greatcoat by thee buttons under the collar. One at each side and one at the back .
    The khaki coats are the same pattern as the blue/grey.

greatcoat-01.jpg greatcoat-02.jpg greatcoat-03.jpg 71st HLI 1865.jpg ww1 australian greatcoat - Copy.jpg Greatcoat-ft.jpg
    mick3272 likes this.
  9. mick3272 A Fixture

Thank you Martin.
    That's the ticket. Perfect. Pictures area great help.
    Mick.
    Nap likes this.