1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British Airborne Denison smock question

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by JasonB, Feb 6, 2018.

1. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    I'm starting on the "classic" Verlinden "A Bridge too Far" 2 figure set in 120mm and need to find out if chevrons on the smock was standard or common? Looking through numerous google images, I find illustrations, 1/6 action figures and re-enactors wearing smocks with chevrons, but in actual WWII photos of the battle I see very few. Am I missing them, or is the addition of chevrons artistic license? I know I'll need to resculpt the cuffs to an earlier version, just need to know if I need to lose the chevrons as well? Any and all help is appreciated.

[IMG]
  2. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Can't help you with the details.....but this is a classic and one that I always liked.........

Wayne
  3. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    Best part is I got it from Scale Hobbyist for $34, apparently their last one. Meanwhile, Dragon Hobby is schilling theirs for a cool $99.95 and hopefully they are collecting dust.
  4. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    Chevrons were worn, normally on the right sleeve only, on the Denison. They didn't look like those broad white ones on the model above, but narrower, more subdued in buff on khaki .
  5. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent, thanks for the clarification.
  6. JonH Active Member

Hi Jason.
    If you google Sergeant Jock Walker you'll find a good photo of the chevrons.As already said- Right arm only.
    Jon.
    JasonB likes this.
  7. Nap A Fixture

England
    Here is a couple of pics

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg

And a great book with a picture of Cpls chèverons that might help you ( these are the war economy version )

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    JasonB likes this.
  8. John strachan Well-Known Member

Arguably one of verlinden's best, I've done 3 of these in my lifetime, 2 were for airborne mates leaving the army and the other was made to look like a sort of weathered bronzed statue, again for a good mate as a birthday present from his missus. I've still got another one in my grey army awaiting the right Arnhem type diorama idea that will be taking shape shortly (I hope).
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Although late to this thread, I’d like to know how you got on with painting the smock.

Mark.