1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for November Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM November

Brigadier General John Buford Gettysburg 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Nov 16, 2006.

1. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Guys,I have finally finished this scratch built figure of Brigadier General John Buford.I started sculpting him 6 years ago and just keep putting him back on the shelf.I based him on the actor Sam Elliott who played the part in Ted Turners production of the movie Gettysburg.Hope you like him,I really enjoyed getting the paint on him.Kind regards John
    [IMG]
  2. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good job John!
    Base suits perfectly!
    christos
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You've done it again John :) That's a very nice figure indeed, both sculpting and painting.

Roger.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    John,

Extremely well done, the sculpting, base and painting.
    Good work.

Marc
  5. Bart Member

Belgium
    Hi John,

I think you have done an excellent job.

The likeness is spot-on. You really captured Sam Elliott's looks!! (y)

It's also one of my favourite movies about the ACW.. ;)

Very best wishes

Bart
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    When I first looked at it, I immediately thought 'hey that's Sam Elliot ! Of course he looked a lot like Buford so you done a pretty good job. Very good painting too. Maybe I'm going to see the movie again now.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Fantastic job on Buford. A lot of folks are going to be disappointed it''s not going to be a kit. :( ~Gary
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,
    another top notch effort! Great stuff here!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    superb figure
    can you give us a few more details about the figure
    scale ,sculpting medium,paints used etc
  10. Michael Scarborough Member

United-States
    I would say you have not only captured Sam Elliott, you have captured that worried look in his eyes as he's looking down the road and imagining the gallant boys in Grey coming down it towards him the next morning.
    Bravo and thanks for helping inspire a new guy.
    Michael
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    John, extremely well sculpted and painted, it reall looks great.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc :)
  12. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    John,

man that is a cool looking figure and I think you did a good job on the likeness. Love the pipe.

Joe
  13. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    John, once again a fantastic job. The likeness is outstanding. Well done

Stephen Mallia
  14. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Hey that is really great, John. An excellent likeness of Sam Elliot.
    (y)

Keith
  15. Kyle Member

United-States
    The minute I clicked this open I said, hey, that's Sam Ellitot in "Gettysburg!" Great job, John. Really spot on. Gary's right: it's too bad this won't be made available commercially, but it makes it that more special for your collection ;)

A true pleasure to view......

Kyle
  16. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Guys,many thanks for all the compliments on my figure of Buford.Sorry Gary he is not a kit.it is something I have to look into one day.I am glad that the likeness of Sam Elliott came through.Michael you mentioned that worried look captured in his face.That is exactly what I was trying to acheive.Buford in the scene I have tried to portray is concerned that 2 corp of the Reb army might take the high ground from him the next morning.I did not have a pipe in his mouth till near the end of the figure,which I feel gives a more concerned thinking look.Glad you love the pipe Joe.Peter the figure is 120mm sculpted in Magic sculpt,milliputt and Duro epoxy putties.I painted him in axcrylics and used printers inks for the metalic parts.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. maui Active Member

Italy
    Hi John,
    Good job, your figure is very reality.
    (y)

maui