1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brave Little Belgium

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Apr 24, 2005.

1. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    You find these trees all around here, but not often in a forrest kind of way (like in the picture) most seperetly like you are gonne use in your diorama.

We call them "zilverberk"

(y) Peter
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Yes, a few scattered trees will give the impression and not obscure the figures.
  3. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    AWESOME,Bob,just AWESOME (y) (y) (y) !!!! I'll DEFINITELY be looking forward to the completion of the piece. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, what I admire most about your work is the effort to make not only the figures and vehicle accurate, but their surroundings as well. How many folks would just be content with a road bordered by static grass on both sides instead of the scenery that could be found in the area you're depicting.~Gary
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wonderful work, Bob!! Your work is a huge inspiration.
  6. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Thank you gentlemen.

I wanted to point out an aspect of the overall composition of this diorama. Since I think like an illustrator I compose like one as well. The challenge in 3D is to make it look "composed" from all angles. This has to be intentional and I cannot tell you how many dios I have seen that were well done but poorly composed.

Since I strive to create a sense of action it is not just the poses of the figures that do that but intentionally considering how they are grouped to force the viewer to be active in looking at the scene. If your eye is moving around from one thing to another in a pattern you create a sense of cohesive motion.

Taking a re-look at the angle of the dio I posted above there are two distinct patterns that do two things: create a sense of motion and also at the same time establish a focal point.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Looking at from the other angles, the composition is repeated.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent Bob. The use of the lance/standard? near the figure on the ground effectively, at least to me, draws the eye in towards the center. You are quite correct in that the compostion is crucial. Yours is spot on. Very well done.

John
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I have started to add the real birch trees. These three are in various stages of development. There will be a total of eight or nine trees scattered about.

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see it in person
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Bob,

This is so great. Bring it to Antwerp in March 2006, and i think you get the BOS (y)
    Then whe Europeans can see it alive.

Marc
  11. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Here are all of the trees in various stages of coming together. I purposely tried to frame the area where the figures will be to provide as clear a view as possible while still trying to infer the forrest.

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    WOW,Bob,VERY NICE (y) (y) (y) !!! Looking forward to the final "stretch" now. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Great idea using the trees as natural frame for the see. It will definitely keep the viewer's attention inside it's borders.~Gary
  14. btavis Active Member

United-States
    This is really getting down to the end. But the piece is starting to take shape.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic scene Bob. I have enjoyed watching this develope from the start. What did you use for the foilage on the trees?
  16. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Guy, the trees were constructed by first putting epoxy on a dowel and then adding tree branches sprayed white. The Birch leaves came from Scenic Express.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, What do you do to fight being burned out after completing so many of these monster projects? Do you set a timetable for each figure or section of a diorama?~Gary
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the link Bob. I'll take a look at them. I liked the way your turned out.
  19. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Gary, it is a matter of planning and breaking the dioarama down into smaller projects. If I can sustain the overall image in my mind then each mini-project will contribute to the whole. I spend a great deal of time composing the scene so that every element adds to the overall effect. There is no insignificant part and as long as you can focus on the immediate task at hand while not losing site of the ultimate composition you will not get burned out or bored. Discipline helps too.

I usually estimate the time to complete a project at the beginning and I know exatly what order in which to do everything. I under estimated this proejct by about three weeks because the horses took longer than I wanted. While I am doing one proeject actively like this I am already researching the next one so I can go right into it when the current one is done.

The most important aspect of working large scale, long term projects is to stay focused. I never do multiple projects at the same time and I am never in a rush. Regardless of how much time I estimate, the project will take as long as it will take and you just have to adjust your expectations accordingly.
  20. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Guy, they have some very cool things on that site. I will probably fuss with the trees some more before this is done. The white needs to be toned down a tad and the trees need some shading and contrast. I will poke the foliage around until I get it just the way I want it. Altogether, the birch trees and the three dwarf pines took about twenty hours to make.