1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brave Little Belgium

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by btavis, Apr 24, 2005.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    >ps, the Uhlan Holsters looks great

Thanks to you!
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Ray, you are too kind. No one can be more anxious than I to finish it. I am debating at this point to make it into a shadowbox since that would prevent being able to see it all way around. I did a test layout with a typical canal and tree-lined Belgian landscape background and it does look good that way but.....
  3. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    IMHO I think that you put so much into it that it would be a rel pity preventing the "world" from viewing your "work of art".........now if you have thought of this before maybe you could have "escaped" from painting "that would be hidden or obscured" ;)

But its your choice buddy :eek:

Ray :)
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    You are absolutely right. I had thought about not painting the parts that would not be seen if put into a shadowbox but since I never knew what the final arrangement would be relative to the viewer's perspective I ended up painting as if they were to be seen all way round. A friend of mine said exactly what you said so it got me thinking. Maybe I will defer the shadowbox for another subject.
  5. nagashino New Member

Hello Bob

Although I haven't posted on this yet, I have been following it from the start, and I'm amazed at how it's turning out. Being a bit of a "track-head", I was impressed with your work on the Minerva armoured car, and now all the Uhlans are coming together it's just starting to gel.

I admire anyone who has the vision to be able to plan and execute something like this. Me, I struggle with single figures :(

Fine work. I agree with Ray - BOS for sure!

Best regards

Phil
  6. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Phil, I seem to have knack for it and I think it comes from my background as an illustrator. I can see whole ensembles in my mind from the beginning so it allows me to keep focus when there are so many elements that take so long to render.

I love doing vehicles that are very obscure so that is a no brainer for me. The Minerva and Sava armored cars are conspicuoulsy absent from commercial production which is too bad as they are kind of neat vehicles. I think there was a Minerva in 1/72 but not a scale I work in. I have a couple of armored cars from Russia that are kits but have no specific plans for them. I liked the Minerva as a figure painter as it was an open car so the figs could be seen. However, packing them in there was a little tricky as fitting any figures into vehicles usually is.

Thanks for chiming in.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, The scope of your projects never ceases to bowl me over. There are not many folks that commit themselves to projects of this size, and you do one right after another. It really makes our single figure projects pretty insignificant.~Gary
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Whether a single rose or a bouquet they both can smell as sweet.
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I started on the setting for this diorama. After looking at many pictures of European country roads specifically Belgium I decided to do a pavestone road. Since the base is 12" x 12" I didn't have enough pavestones to do the entire road. To compensate I built a 3" x 5" section of pavestones and created a mold from which I cast resin copies. These were then laid out on the base, glued down and then weathered.

The last picture shows the Miverva, mock-up trees just for positioning and the start of adding grass. The trees will eventually be birch trees that will be quite slender to avoid obscuring the figures. I am not sure how many trees but enough to make the point.

Base:

[IMG]

Pave Stone Master, Mold and Casting:

[IMG]

Pavestone copies laid out on base:

[IMG]

Pavestones weathered with Miverva and mock trees:

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ooooh yeah!! Its comming together real nice now Bob!! Cant wait for the finished piece and to see it in the flesh in Atlanta!
  11. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I did an earlier layout and you can start to see how this scene is developing:

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Bob all I can say is.....wow.

John
  13. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another BoS in the making
  14. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Another layout picture with the groundwork a little more developed but still with temporary trees. The trees will take a week or so. I hate making trees but they make a difference.

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
  16. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Bob, your work here from composition to sculpting to painting is absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see it in person. This SBS is also one of your best. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
  17. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Pat, thank you. I was a little concerned about the painting as it is my first all acrylic diorama. The other concern I had was the blandness of the colors - mostly greys and browns. I am hoping the green foliage will help liven it up a bit and since the incident occurs in August the greenery should be, well....green!
  18. nagashino New Member

Bob

That's absolutely excellent. So much action in a square foot!

Phil
  19. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    It is not my favorit time but the diorama is great, indeed the trees are gonna make a big different in the colourchart of this piece

It makes me proud to be Belgium :lol: :lol:

(y) Peter
  20. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Now there's a compliment if ever I heard one. Thank you. I can imagine the time period is not much favored by Belgians since it was a horrendous period for them. However, I have always had great admiration for what they did in an impossible situation against insurmountable odds. Hopefully, this piece will show the elan and esprit de corps they demonstrated. The thing that always got to me was the fact that the Germans knew the Belgians were neutral yet they could not understand why they fought back so vigorously when they were invaded. I guess the Germans thought the Belgians should have just lain down without a fight.

Here is a sample of the tree typs I will be including:

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.