1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

#BrailleScale Update – W/E 15 August 2021

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by RossM, Mar 30, 2022.

1. RossM Active Member

Australia
    I did not provide any update last week because not too much had been released that had piqued my interest. However, over the past two weeks, there have been a couple of exciting announcements.

W-Models have just announced a couple of new resin kits, including an Archer SPG on a MAN HX 8×8 chassis. The Swedish Army use the Archer SPG but is mounted on a 6×6 chassis. This variant is one that was unveiled at the International Defence and Security Exhibition in London in 2019.

[IMG]

W-Model has also announced a couple of other kits, including a Giraffe AMB radar, mounted on a MAN SX 8×8 chassis.

[IMG]

Armada Hobby has announced a couple of interesting releases. First up are a couple of variants of the FAHD 240. The FAHD 20 is an armoured personnel carrier developed by Egypt in the 1908s that has since spawned several other variants, including armoured car variants. It is two of the latter that Armada has announced in the form of FAHD 240/30 Armoured Car with 30mm turret and the FAHD 240 Armoured Car with KADER 280 Turret. Both should be interesting builds.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Armada’s other announcement is a series of variants of the ubiquitous Dutra D4K tractor. The D4K, developed in the 1960s, found use in both the civilian and military worlds. The variants presented here represent both of those uses. Three kits have been announced – first, a Dutra D4K Tractor with a snowplough. Second, the Dutra D4K airfield tow tractor with Closed Cab, and finally, the Dutra D4K Airfield Tractor. I think these will look great either on their own or in an airfield setting.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Finally, in terms of vehicle announcements, Vespid Models have announced their second Panzer V Panther. This time it is the variant mounting the F.G.1250 infrared searchlight and scope. I am not a massive fan of German armour. However, I am building Vespid’s Comet tank, which is very nice, so part of me is tempted by one of the Panther’s. Nonetheless, I would not be building it as a German version. Still, instead, I would probably look at converting it into a captured vehicle of some ilk.

[IMG]

As for aircraft, there has not been much of note released over the past two weeks. However, Dream Models have just announced the release of a UH-1Y Venom. The UH-1Y is the ultimate development of the ubiquitous Huey of Vietnam fame and is used by the US Marine Corps. There should be lots of opportunities for weathering with this helicopter.

[IMG]

Finally, MENG has announced a new Chieftain Mk10 in 1/35. I know it is not braille scale, but I have a soft spot for this tank. It was in service while my dad served with the British Army, and as such, it is iconic to me. Generally, a good tank despite problems with its engine. The Mk10 was an Mk7 with the Totem Pole upgrade. It was also eventually equipped with Stillbrew armour, as represented in the kit. Famously, we often see models of these vehicles painted in the iconic urban camouflage used in Berlin. I will probably pick one of these up to site alongside the 1/72 TAKOM kit of the Chieftain that I already own.

[IMG]

Continue reading...