1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Boudicca - My Way

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sven, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Sven A Fixture

Dear Planeteers,
    this is my current project: the popular bust of Boudicca by ferminiatures. Boudicca, Boudica or Boadicea (AD30 -AD61), was the Queen of the British, Celtic Iceni tribe, whose territory stretched across much of what is now East Anglia. She led an (unsuccessful) uprising against the conquering forces of the Roman Empire
    You can easily find a bunch of great versions online. Unfortunately, most of them are looking very much alike the great box art by Pepa Saavedra, i.e. red hair, white tunic and a green or blue cloak. Well, I am going to paint her a redhead as well (she is British, after all), but apart from that, I wanted to use different colors, starting with the tartan pattern of her cloak.
    Some war paint on her face or her arm would be an interesting option, but I am not totally sure if this would be historically accurate. According to Julius Caesar, “All the Britons, without exception, stain themselves with woad, which produces a blueish tint; and this gives them a wild look in battle.” Let me know, what you think about this topic.
    I hope you like what you see.
    Greetings
    Sven
    IMG_E3482.JPG IMG_E3483.JPG IMG_E3484.JPG IMG_E3485.JPG
    brian, Martin64, MattMcK. and 11 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sven

You've chosen a great sculpt to do , a really good start , really like the work on the cloak , nice cross hatching evident in the squares

As for the use of woad .....it's been recorded by Ceasar as you say , it's a personal choice , me I would go for a vey subdued colour

Look forward more on this

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Sven likes this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Sven
    Got this one sitting around in the grey army so look forward to seeing how yours shapes up; as you say most have a similar feel (apart from the stunning firelit version I saw)

I'd like to see a more 'mature' Boudicca and keep looking at mine with a view to add a few years to her :unsure:

Cheers
    Paul
    Sven likes this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work on the cloak Sven.(y)
    Sven likes this.
  5. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    cracking start
    Sven likes this.
  6. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great cloak and super sculpt.

There are still plenty of women women who look like her over here in Wales. Wild!

Jeff
    Sven and OldTaff like this.
  7. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sven, looks as though you are on another winner, love your choice of colours, please don't give her bright orange hair lol.
    TERRY
    Nap and Sven like this.
  8. Sven A Fixture

Will do :)
  9. Sven A Fixture

The historic person was a mother of two girls, if I remember correctly. A more mature look would be very appropriate, I guess. Do not let her sit in your grey army for too long.
    Nap and DaddyO like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Can't beat a older woman ....lol

Get that on your bench Leggy ......

Nap
    Sven and DaddyO like this.
  11. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great looking work on the cloak!
    Sven likes this.
  12. Sven A Fixture

More pictures :)
    Her hair and tunic still need some improvements.
    IMG_E3496.JPG IMG_E3498.JPG IMG_E3502.JPG .
  13. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Following you with interest! (Someday, I'll tackle mine ...:whistle:)
    Sven likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sven

I really do like the clothing colours works well with the cloak

Look forward to more on this

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Sven likes this.
  15. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work..
    Sven likes this.
  16. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifull progress so far Sven, i'm looking closely at the hair, as im working on a 'Red head' myself at the moment. The cloak looks superb, and the tunic is shaping up nicely too.

As for historical accuracy.... :rolleyes:. We'll never know, for sure. She was only in her early thirties, when she died, so even for those days, relatively young. She also didnt suffer the aging hardship of poverty and hard work, being the queen and all that. your version looks what I think rather accurate. I think the cloak is a little too intricate, a little too 'tartan', but the ruling class certainly would have had the most elaborate and clourfull clothing of the time. As for the hair, she certainly wasn't a Celt.. I would tone down the hair a bit, certainly not add any highlights, lest she becomes a 'Heather'..

looking forward to more progress.
    Sven and Nap like this.
  17. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hair looks fantastic
    Sven likes this.