1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Boudica in progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MattMcK., Apr 6, 2019.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Matt,
    Sorry I'm late in on this project, nice concept of hunting down the fleeing Roman......nothing wrong with your build or painting looking good, but to my eye and this is my personal preference two of the main characters Boudica needs a positional change and the crouching Icenian/Celt a more intense purpose.

If this was mine I would have re-positioned Boudica so the spear point was more in line to the fleeing Roman (don't even know if it's possible with the available space).

The crouching figure rather than sacking the dead Roman I would have him reaching for a javelin on the ground. As for the dogs and they are a very nice addition to the scene but I would have had the dog on the left attack from higher brow. In my opinion this would give a more intense dramatic feel to who slays the fleeing Roman first - Boudica, the crouching Celt or the dog.

cheers
    Richie
    boudica.jpg
    Nap likes this.
  2. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

great work.
    particularly like the last pictuer - the upside-down orientation clearly reflects how the Roman must feel right around now:p:D
    Nap likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

LOL .......poor Roman ...turned and enlarged ...it was hurting my head !!

Looking at the way it looks now ..I think the red of the cloaks look good doesn't seem too overpowering

Richie has a good point ref the dogs ...perhaps another on the high ground as well

Matt

Hope all is well after your op good to see updates ..it's a cracking idea

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I can see larger pictures, but the last one still represents how the Roman feels;)
    I shall now hand this topic back to its owner, and get my coat
    Nap likes this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Maybe a idea.
    If the figures are not attached at the base it is maybe possible to let the Roman be killed trough placing the dagger from the Celt into the Romans back. Then they have something with the whole scene.
    The only thing that you have to do is making a hole into the Romans back and put the dagger into it.

Marc
  6. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Mr. Matt

I just saw your work today... Somehow I missed... I just want give you my congratulations for your amazing diorama and I would like take the chance to say THANK YOU for believe in RPmodels.

Thank you Sir.
    With best regards
    Hugo
    MattMcK. and Nap like this.
  7. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

8. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

I thought about that point (hah) with the javelin, but act the event out with a broom stick and I think you’ll see the physical action is right. The spear doesn’t come directly back over the head to be thrown forward. To get maximum thrust it comes up the way she is holding it, then the body twists forward as it comes up over the shoulder.

I tried the dog on the higher bluff and it makes the area too busy, plus it would break its leg. I think an actual dog would get to that point, check, then maybe jump from a four footed pose after looking for a landing area. The lower area lets him take it in stride as the figure is posed.
    Nap likes this.
  9. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Hard to get a dagger through that armor :). I have a plan that will make his fate clear!
    harrytheheid likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    There is always room between the plates of the segmentata lorica. ;)

Marc
    MattMcK. likes this.
  11. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Groundwork phase one- looking very uniform right now, but that will change as I add other vegetation and thin out a few others.
    93F8FEF8-40C0-4E1D-A8A0-AC9D598A7A15.jpeg DB15A645-3746-4262-8939-5760541892FC.jpeg FA20D4D2-8D30-404B-8F63-7983E73A84E0.jpeg F4BC10C7-9995-4A79-8218-8E6D30CD212A.jpeg
  12. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's always good when you get the first of the static grass shot onto the groundwork - tells you that the diorama is almost finished.
    :)
    MattMcK. likes this.
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Quite impressive.....I think I lost that kind of drive and patience years ago.

Wayne
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That looks good.
    What kind of grass did you use??

Marc
  15. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a stunning piece of work.

Mike
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Matt

Blimey Groundwork phase 1 really brings it together

What's in the running Roman's left hand ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  17. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I would say it looks like a messenger desperately trying to deliver the message before .... you know? Proffessional consumate, imho.
    Nap likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England

Reckon he's going to have to run a lot faster !!!...lol

Nap
    Landrotten Highlander likes this.
  19. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

It will be his shield, but I’ll break it off if I attach it before the very end. Already broke of Boudica’s spear :)
    Nap likes this.
  20. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Knoch field grass and their basic grass mix.
    Nap and Landrotten Highlander like this.