1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bosniak lancer officer's lace

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by valiant, Mar 4, 2019.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

As some of you will know on here, I am currently working on a bust of the above regiment. As with all of these things, there is a contradiction of references, regarding the lacework on the officer's jacket.
    All of the references indicate a fur trim on the black outer jacket, but there is conflicting evidence about the three bands of lace on the chest. One source seems to suggest some type of loop fasten, others that it looks purely decorative. On the red tunic, one source indicates buttons, but most do not.

Does anyone out there have any other references other than the images on Google, at all? I would be most grateful!

TIA Steve(y)
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

What's any Osprey book show ...will have a look at my bookshelves

As with Pandours sure Officers added lace etc to set themselves apart

Nap

You have probably seen these !

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    valiant likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Steve, I'm not in the best place to be much help at the moment unfortunately but if you search for Adolph Menzel Bosniak, or cavalry/kavallerie you might be lucky.
    Even if you aren't lucky you'll see some good illustrations. :D
    Good luck.
    Roger
    valiant likes this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks chaps! I have those illustrations and the Osprey book closely follows the Knotel plates. Its only the reference above which indicates buttons and loops or clasps which pass over the fur trim, the others show lace. A similar thing too, with the buttons on the red tunic... I suppose, like all these things, there is no hard or fast rules and it was open to the individuals themselves, to "bling up" the uniform!! Ta, folks(y)
    billyturnip and Nap like this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    If I remember correctly the Osprey plates are based on the Menzel illustrations. Incidentally so are quite a few of the 54mm Prussian flats by Fredericus Rex. This little conversation has created an itch that might have to be scratched. :D
    Nap and valiant like this.
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I knew it was wrong when I wrote it - but in my defence, I was at work and not in front of my home laptop!! Interesting how these things come about, I was Mookies pandour that led me here....!!(y)
  7. Nap Moderator

England

Hope we see you scratching Roger ...

Nap
    billyturnip likes this.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Me too Kev, a little over two weeks to go before it's time to go home but there maybe a 2d Bosniak on the horizon.
    Nap likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Good to hear , be careful out on the briny sea you seafarer you .......a 2D bosniak sounds good ..now back on watch with you ...

Nap
    billyturnip likes this.