1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Boromir, 75mm Knight Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jul 15, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Colin, very kind of you to say so. Still so much to do, but good to know you think I'm on the right track.
  2. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Lookin great Tony, I was loking at some images of Boromir and you could have saved your self some trouble and painted him in the Elvin cloak instead of that highly patterned one!!!!! Only joking. Are you going to deepen the colour of the sheild?
    Ben
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Ben. I took the hard road on this one mate, and it made all the difference.

I'm hoping that as Knight Models work their way through the characters in the Lord of the Rings, I'll get a chance to paint a few Elvin cloaks, but I couldn't resist the challenge of trying Boromir's cloak. I still have Gandalf to do, and now Elrond is calling me. I can't wait to see who's next!!

Yes, the shield colour is still a bit light at the moment. I'm waiting until I finish painting all the leather accessories before I hit the shield and other parts with a dark brown oil washes.
  4. Ashen-Shurgar Member

Australia
    Nice work Tony, love the work on the cloak!
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mark,

I'm making very slow progress at the moment, but steadily getting the final pieces assembled and base coated so I can then give the whole figure a good going-over with oils and pastels. Horn and scabbard have been base coated only.

I haven't got a clue yet about the basework. Any suggestions guys?

IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0212.JPG
    Meehan34, Maki and NickM like this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    you could always go with this scene from the film LOTR would be a matter of putting the ring on the palm of his hand as opposed to it dangling
    [IMG]
  7. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    WOW!!!!
    Tony, excellent paint and beautiful pattern!!!

Alexadnros
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Put him on a dead Ork!!!!!!!!
    Ben;)
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great...
    How about foot up on an ancient stone wall or bench covered in vines, like the courtyard in Rivendell, when the fellowship was introduced?
  10. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    That cloak is over the top good. This is one of your best works to date, a real masterpiece.
  11. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Well done Tony, impressive so far.
  12. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Wow, the cloak looks fantastic! Great work!

Mario
  13. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Bro ,
    Maybe groundwork could be the foot up on the side of a canoe at the waters edge with shallow water lapping at edge of base near his foot and high bow at front of canoe. (sorry bro I know the concept just struggling to put it into words)
    Chris
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your suggestions guys. I've watched the movie "Fellowship of the Ring" hundreds of times now, and there does not seem to be any particular scene in the movie where this pose of Bormoir comes directly from. The fact that his sword is drawn, but he is standing relaxed, suggests he's just been in battle. I was thinking of referring to other parts of the LOTR story that fall outside of the movie and allow for a bit more scope to be creative.

For example, we know from the movie that Boromir, on the orders of his father Denethor, the Steward of Gondor, rides on his own from Minas Tirth to Rivendell because Elrond has summoned Gondor to send a representative to his council, and also because Boromir has been tormented by premonitions of the ring in his own dreams.

Perhaps this scene could reflect an event, not recorded in either the book or the movie, as Boromir makes the long, lonely and dangerous ride from Gondor to Rivendell? Who'se to say he didn't stop for a bit of orc slashing on the way??
  15. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant job.
  16. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    great work sir. The pattern on the cape is most excellent.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers guys,

The figure is now fully assembled and I've started work on doing all the little fiddly bits which I enjoy so much.

The gloves and sword still need some work and there's still too much sheen for my liking. A good work out with the pastels should solve that problem.

The final step before turning to the groundwork will be to finish the oil washes to accent the shadows and then do a final run with the acrylics to pick out the highlights.

IMG_0213.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome job Tony!
    Any thoughts on the base yet? The right scene will set off your fine paintwork.

Cheers

Colin
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony, can't wait to see this one at WASMEx. You've done an amazing job!
    I haven't used oil washes on figures before. Do you flow it around the contours like a wash, or is it more of a diluted coat?
    I'm particularly interested how you use the technique on the flesh areas.
    Cheers mate!
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Colin, thanks for your continued support on this figure mate, much appreciated. Still tossing up what to do about the base at this stage.

Nick, oil washes can be a very effective technique for adding depth to acrylic colours and also to deepen shadows. Very much like any other wash you might use with acrylics, except I use white spirits instead of water. If you come along to the next club meeting, I'd be happy to demonstrate for you so you can see for yourself. I'll bring Boromir along so you can see him in the flesh.