1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Boromir, 75mm Knight Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jul 15, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Finally took some photos to show latest progress with my newest figure, Boromir from Knight Models in 75mm.

As you can see i"m still laying down base colours in some areas and quite advanced in others. The big challenge comes when I try to paint the delicate patterns in the felt lining on the back of the cloak.

I'm not sure the face has captured the likeness of Sean Bean very well, but that's the limitations of my painting, not the fault of the sculptor.

As always, I welcome you comments and criticism.

064.JPG 065.JPG 067.JPG 069.JPG
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Coming along nicely
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great so far... IMO I can see Sean Bean in the figure just fine.

Look forward to seeing more of this one as it progresses

Cheers

Colin
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks a great start Tony.
    Carl.(y)
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony, looking great so far, mate! I just checked out the box art of this figure on the Knight Models website - bugger me, you've got your work cut out for you with the cloaks felt lining! :) I know you're more than up to it though!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished (and hopefully in the flesh at the club).
    Cheers
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks very promising to me.
    Like what you are doing with this figure.

Marc
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well Tony
    This figure came in for a bit of critisim but I think it looks good and your painting is of high quality as usual.

Ron
  8. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done so far
  9. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Knight models is trying to bankrupt us !!!! Looking forward to seeing this figure finished. Like your progres so far.
    Ant.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for all your comments guys.

I've been fiddling with the pattern on the cloak, which has a very intricate swirl pattern and felt texture that is very tricky to replicate. I took several photos last night with my iPhone, but these two were the only one's in focus.

I'll try to provide some better shots in a couple of days.

IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0193.JPG
    ChaosCossack and NickM like this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    As promised, a few more pics of Boromir to show the pattern on the cloak, and the shield covering the big hole in his back :D IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG
  12. khorgor Member

Australia
    whaaaaaaaat. that's crazy Tony. congrats on such fine work!!!!!
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cloack looks stunning Tony
    Look forward to the Finnish of this one .

Ron
  14. Mark S Guest

Very nice work, Tony.
    Beautifully done,...will you put a matt coat over that?
  15. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony you've nailed it , amazing work on the cloak congratulations. (y)(y)

Cheers Ken
  16. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony, that cloak is stunning!
    It's really coming together. Nice work, mate!
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    You can tell when you are really into the figure you are painting cause you get results like this!!!! Love that pattern on the cloak
    Ben
    NickM likes this.
  18. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    That is some intricate work
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments and encouragement guys; it's always appreciated.

Now that the Tour de France is over I can get back into my hobby room and try to finish this figure before the Olympics set in and I spend another fortnight with my arse glued to the couch.

I've started work on adding oil washes mixed with white spirits over the acrylic base, especially on the lining on the inside of the cloak and on the black leather coat and cloak. As suggested, I've also tried to cut down some of the sheen.

I've also added an oil wash over the face to add some depth to the skin tones and make him look a little less pale.

My focus now will be on finishing the horn and scabbard and adding the sword hand, and then going to town on all the little details and sharpening up some of the finer details.

Here are the latest pics. Hope you like.

IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0206.JPG
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Tony
    This is turning out to be a beautiful piece of art. The face is great, the leather and the patterned tunic look awesome but the pattern on the lining of the cloak absolutely blows me away!!!!:eek: I wish I could freehand like that... Hat's off to you Sir!

Colin