1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Books on sculpting

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Grizzly, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Grizzly Member

Hey Guy's,

Been wanting to broaden my figure modeling by being able to sculpt different poses on stock figure etc.,to even doing a whole figure lie alot of you guys do and so was wondering if you guys could point out any reference,how to books out there. The only putty work on figures i have done is gaps and hole fills and small stuff like lapels and shoulder boards and small pouches and bags with A&B putty,but am also thinking of trying other types,so i would like to also ask what you guys think is the best model putty out there?
    Thanks
  2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Thomas. You can start by getting a good anatomy book. ( very important ). There's Bill Horan's book that I find very good and inspiring

Stephen Mallia
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Tomas!

I found a great book a few weeks ago. The name of the book is "Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy" and I got it at Barns and Noble or at Border books. Don't remember excactly which. It has all kinds of great drawings and the title is correct, it is all nice and plain compared to the normal cluttery anatomy books.

Also, the book called Dynamic Wrinkles is a pretty good source for sculpting folds and wrinkles.

As for putty, I would reccmmend that you try Magic Sculpt. It is really easy to work with.
  4. Grizzly Member

Thanks for the info guy's, i've heard of the book by Bill Horan i'll have to look for one.
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    The ones Anders suggested are really good. Check out Gordy's SBS on Mickey Mantle (somewhere 'bouts). Kim Jones' book "Sculpting Military Miniatures" is also a terrific book.

My personal favorite sculpting putty is Magic-Sculp.
  6. JP PRAJOUX Member

About anatomy I would suggest these great books :
    « Modelling and sculpting the human figure » by Edouard Lanteri
    « Modeling the head in clay » by Bruno Lucchesi
    « Modeling the figure in clay » by Bruno Lucchesi
    You can find them at Amazone
    Bye
    Jean-Philippe
  7. MSzwarc New Member

Shep Paine's Building and Painting Scale figures covers all aspects of figure modeling including painting, groundwork, conversions, and scratchbuilding. It also covers modeling of horses and mounted figures. The information on posing figures and horses is very useful. Unfortunately, this book is out of print. I got my copy on eBay.

Osprey's Modelling and Painting Figures, while not a great book overall, does have good info on posing conversions and scratchbuilds, as well as info and photos on how the manufacturers develop figures.

As for putty, I prefer Magic Sculpt, but I think it's a good idea to try different putties, and use those that work best for your style of sculpting.