1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Book - Andrea Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guy, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    For most of my uniform sculpting these days, I am using a combination of Duro and A & B (any proportion works). This is a trick picked up from Stefano Cannone, and it really works well for clothing where gentle folds are needed, as it can be brushed out with some water or thinner. I still use straight Duro for the details, and straight A & B for the armature.

Bill
  2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Are you still using Humbrol enamels to paint, Bill ? Any changes in your technique since the "masterclass" book in which you explained your technique with the David Grieve highlander as an example ?

... It's kind of strange to see you here as a "Newbie" ... :lol: - but seriously, I personally hope to see more contributions from you ... a SBS article would be great !

Welcome to Pf (y) ,

Johan
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Another of Bill's sbs articles will cover the creation "The 21st Lancers" Mounted figure.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I cant wait till i have that book in my hands. Counting the days.

Marc
  5. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Bill,
    Welcome to the Planet The more extracts I see from your book
    the more I want to purchase it.

Thanks for once again sharing your techniques and artistry with us

I shall order it through Andrea via Historex soon

Frank (y) (y)
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here are a few more figures from Bill's book.

72nd Highlanders

[IMG]

Braddock Defeated

[IMG]

Berdan Sharpshooter

[IMG]
  7. LCoote New Member

Australia
    ahhh , you're just teasing us Guy :lol:
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here are a few more of Bill's creations. I will post a gallery link later with all the photos that Bill sent me.

"Flank Attack"

[IMG]

"Trumpeter Marine Infantry 1870"

[IMG]

"Color Bearer 9th Indiana 1864"

[IMG]
  9. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    I've seen that Frenchman before. It's a gorgeous figure, could have stepped out of a De Neuville.

Damn, I'll never be able to paint like that ... look at that tricolor lace on those sleeves, it's only 54mm !

OK. That's it. I'm frustrated and I'm going out to have a drink and play some pool.
    :lol:
  10. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    It DID step out of a DeNeuville!

Bill Horan
  11. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    :eek:

... better tell the little fella to go back where he came from then - some museum guard might discover the empty spot in that painting ! :lol:

OK, Seriously : I never saw that De Neuville where you got the inspiration for this figure, Bill, but the fact that I sort of instinctively thought "hey that looks like a De Neuville" is testimony to your ability and skill to "capture" the art of De Neuville in 3D in 54mm - see what I mean?

Now THAT is an achievement. I respect that a lot. This is the stuff that should win golds and bests of show at competitions, because it is inspired and it inspires others at the same time.

I'd only want to ask you one favour: stay with us here on Planetfigure, ... we learn a lot from this, and we enjoy it ; and hey, it's the best forum around, although you might have the impression some of us are a bit "space" - well me in the first place for example ;) .

My compliments,

Johan
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I wish I had an endless supply of photos of Bills work, but alas, we are nearing the end of my supply of pictures. Here are 3 more beauties..........

Grover Alexander Cleveland

[IMG]

Officer 93rd Highlanders 1857

[IMG]

17th Regiment of Dragoons 1812

[IMG]
  13. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... :eek:

Oh come on !!!

Guuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :( ?????? Please please please will you ask Bill to send or post one picture of his Chasseur d'Afrique 1854, who contemplates an English Hussar busby after the Charge of the Light Brigade ? It is one of his older work, which he did in the same period as "gandamak", it was always one of my favourites. Oh I'd love to see that one again ! :)
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Johan,
    I got an email from Bill with these 2 photos attached. I will copy paste the message Bill sent with them.

"As requested, here is a photo of the Chasseur d’Afrique at Balaclava … and DeNeuville’s Marine Trumpeter painting… Incidentally the Chasseur was a Military Modeling subscription raffle prize in 1989. The guy who won it put it up for auction on eBay last year, where it was sold to a French collector.

Bill"

"DeNeuville - Marine Trumpeter"

[IMG]

"Chasseur d'Afrique 1854"

[IMG]
  15. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    :eek:

... Thank you, Bill. Thanks a million times !!!!

That Chasseur d'Afrique of yours has always been one of my favourites. Not only is it one of my favourite uniforms , but simply by making him contemplating that English hussar busby you told the whole story there, of how the French Chasseurs d'Afrique saved much of what remained of the Light Brigade from certain death.

Seeing it again is certainly inspiring ... now, where did I put that Metal Modeles figure ? :)

... And wow ... how well did you capture that magnificent De Neuville in 54mm ...

My best wishes, and thank you for the inspiration,

Johan ;)
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here are a couple more of Bill's Figures he had emailed to me.

"Mississippi Rifleman"

[IMG]

"Sergeant, 93 Highlanders, 1854"

[IMG]
  17. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    I think it's great that Bill has both offered us a terrific book that we can all learn from (with obvious benefits-even if just photos of his work) and that he has taken the time to share his techniques with us here on Planet Figure. A true master in every sense of the word.

It's a pleasure having you here Bill!
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    As I had promised in an earlier posting, Below is the link to the kitpic Portfolio where I have uploaded all the photos Bill was so kind to send us and share with us.

Bill Horan Portfolio

Many thanks again Bill. I really look forward to your upcoming book.

Guy
  19. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Guy, thanks for putting that together. It's nice to have an album of Bill's work again. I still miss Webarmageoden's albums of some premier artists.
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You welcome John, but the thanks go to Bill for emailing me the photos and answering the many questions that he has.

btw.....I noticed that the "Newbie" classification has been replaced by "Member" and soon to be "Advanced Member"