1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bonapartes’ Poste Militaire castings

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by kevininpdx, Jun 30, 2020.

1. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    I’ve been buying classic kits lately but I’m a painter not a collector. Does anyone have any experience with castings by Bonapartes? Is it worth it quality wise to pay the higher prices for original Poste Militaire kits?
  2. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    PM send. What PM kits are you after?
    kevininpdx likes this.
  3. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    IMHO...and from experience of Bonapartes castings of the Poste Militaire kits...I would recommend them unreservedly (y)

Ron
    peedee, Mirofsoft and kevininpdx like this.
  4. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Haven't bought any Poste Militaire kits from Bonaparte's, but I do deal with them fairly regularly (received a Roll Call figure from them yesterday) & can verify that their turnround of orders & customer service is second to none. Highly recommended seller!
    peedee and kevininpdx like this.
  5. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Ron thanks for the reply. When was the last time you bought one of those kits? My worry is the molds are blown but I’m not afraid of mold lines. I can get a few originals but the price is about double.
  6. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,
    From what I remember, and think is still the case, the casting company they use is Grey Matter Figures who are very good and they would have created molds when they started casting for Bonapartes.

If the casting is not great then you should always raise it with the company that you purchased from. I would expect the same from our customers.

Hope that helps...
    peedee, DaddyO and kevininpdx like this.
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate,
    if memory serves I brought the Mounted Dragoon at Euro (2016)...so I was able to inspect before purchase...and found it to be like new.
    I also looked at the Mounted Chasseur...which was in perfect condition also.
    Suggest you message them and express your concerns...always found them helpful.

Ron
    peedee and kevininpdx like this.
  8. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    It is nice to know you take care of your customers. I guess you have not seen my old thread in dealing with Bonapartes.
    https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/bad-casting-from-bonaparte.113311/

This is from Military Figure Painters Association facebook

poste2.jpg
  9. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    I didn’t mean to cause any controversy. I ended up picking up two original Poste Militaire kits for a decent price. I saw pictures of the castings so I feel good about it. I will probably try the Bonapartes boxings at some point. For the price they are asking I would expect them to have some problems. I sometimes intentionally buy kits from brands I know will have problems because I want the sculpt so badly. Still I will always pay more for better casts.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

No controversy whatsoever , constructive and honest comments

Look forward to seeing your PM pieces on the bench

Nap