1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Bombing Officer 2nd Tyneside Irish - July 1, 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, May 12, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my completed Stormtroopers Exclusive Series 1/9 bust of a Lieutenant and battalion bombing officer of the 2nd Tyneside Irish (25th Service Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers) on July 1, 1916 – the First Day of the Somme. This unit was brigaded with three other Tyneside Irish battalions as part of the 34th Division, which suffered enormously on July 1.

The bust is called “Zero Hour,” signifying 7:30 AM, the time when about 60,000 British infantry left their trenches and went over the top to start the worst single day in British military history. The Tynesiders left their trenches almost a mile behind the British front line and had to advance a great distance towards their objectives at La Boisselle and Contalmaison. They were forced to advance at the walk in the open and under constant German MG fire. A famous photo of the attack shows men marching with sloped arms and in some cases smoking.

The model’s watch hands have been painted to show the time as 7:30. That fits the look on the officer's face, a mix of resignation, tension and a fear.

Image12.jpg image2.jpg Image11.jpg Image1.jpg Image10.jpg Image7.jpg Image6.jpg Image5.jpg Image4.jpg

This was a great bust the to paint. It was beautifully sculpted by Igor Danilkin. Painted in acrylics and inks.

Colin
  2. pte1643 Active Member

Stunning piece Colin.
    crf likes this.
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very, very nice done! Presentation is spotless!
    I love it! Thanks Colin!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Excellent finish Colin.

Roger.
    crf likes this.
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb Colin. Gorgeous tones throughout.

Ron
    crf likes this.
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant stuff, lovely colours.

Gells
    crf likes this.
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, The variations of color on the uniform and equipment look great. You've definitely captured the tension on his face, which is excellent. The watch, and gloves, look very realistic. Also the base compliments your bust perfectly. Congrats on this one. Regards, SG
    crf likes this.
  8. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
    Khaki on khaki. No exciting colours or designs to attract the eye, yet you have done a great job of making this an arresting figure, where, for once, the viewer's eye is focused on the facial expression rather than the uniform. Congratulations.
    crf likes this.
  9. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Smashing piece of work Colin! And an excellent paint job proving that the Great War still offers many exciting subjects for modellers!
    Well done,
    cheers
    crf likes this.
  10. Don Well-Known Member

Lovely bust Colin and your paintwork just makes it jump out to me. Uniform looks not to used just yet but I feel the tension showing in his face.
    Superb

Don
    crf likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Awesome finish Colin.
    Great work Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  12. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    great work(y)
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Don et al. I thought about weathering his tunic a bit more with pastels for dried mud and maybe even adding some white chalk marks to situate him more clearly in the Somme area. I decided in the end that it would just look strange to vast majority of viewers so I went with painting faded/weathered khaki instead (the tunic is intentionally a different shade than the cap. Also, I would say officers stood more chance of showing a clean turn out at the start of the day given their access to a batman. Plus July 1, 1916 was a beautiful summer day so there would have been no mud.

Re. the look on his face - I agree it works but all credit to Igor as sculptor - I just coloured it :)

Thanks again for your comments and likes on this one.

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Don like this.
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely finish Colin.
    What medal ribbon is that please?
    Carl.
    crf likes this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Colin.
    I'll remember that one, might come in for a future project.
    Cheers,
    Carl.
    crf likes this.
  17. Mark S Guest

Beautifully done, Colin, another great distinctive piece.
    crf likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The final product you've presented is awesome... Gold Medal with Laurels! ;) Your background research and attention to detail is diligent and the accompanying SBS is entertaining and informative. Thanks for that!
    Your work with the mix of different acrylics and inks has developed into a both distinctive and immediately recognizable style... "Fraserian", "Colinic" or maybe the "Stratford Movement"?

With that I say... "Bravo"... and ask what's next?

Colin the Younger
    crf likes this.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Outstanding bust Colin. Great painting and I love the contextual details that give the bust such meaning. A wonderful piece of work.
  20. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb piece of work.

Mike
    crf likes this.