1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bolshevik Volunteer, 1919

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Fernando Ruiz, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Fantastic work Fernando. Another showtopper! (y)

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  2. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Not only the painting is extraordinary good, but also the photography is really neat and clear with a nice background.

Excellent job congratulations....(y)

Regards

Rod.
  3. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks for your words, guys.
    I'm finishing the next step of the process. I'll update the thread very soon :)
    Regards
    FeR
  4. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Excellent work Fernando !!!
  5. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hi Fernado,
    Excellent Work my Friend!!!

Alexandros
  6. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks for the comments, guys!
    Let's go with the next step, the "budenovka" hat.
    For this part of the bust I wanted a grayish/purplish finish with rough wool texture. I started with an acrylic basecoat with a mix of Scorched Brown (Citadel) and Oxford blue:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I added a basic highlight to serve as a "map" of the position of the light. The colour is a mixture of the basecoat + Graveyard Earth (Citadel):

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

With the sketch of the hat completed, I was ready to start with oil paintings.
  7. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    I have got used to paint with oils when I need to get a good blending degree in large areas like this hat. The process is very simple:
    - I apply a basecoat of acrylic paints
    - I paint all the shadows and highlights with oils, blendig carefully in the transitions.
    - I give a coat of matt varnish.
    - I give the finishing touches, shades or textures with acrylic paint, which I control much better.

The colours:

[IMG]

From left to right, Ivory black, Burnt Sienna, Indigo, Yellow Ochre and Titan White.

I use a plastic dish as a palette:

[IMG]

And mix the colours to get the needed tones (sorry if they are a bit hard to see, but the gloss touch of the oils make it difficult to get a pic :():

[IMG]

Let's start to apply the colours. It's better to concentrate your efforts in a reduced area and, after that, start the work in the next one. I apply very few paint in the right places:

[IMG]

I start to blend:

[IMG]

A bit more:

[IMG]

I continue in the adjacent area:

[IMG]

And I continue with each area until all the work is done. The completed work with oil painting:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

As you can see, the finish tends to a golden tone. It is OK, as this tone will add richness to the finishing step. The last thing is a coat of matt varnish to seal the oils and let me see the work so far:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Next step, the acrylic finish!
  8. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    And now, the acrylic finish. I had in mind the tones and texture of this soviet wool coat:

[IMG]

The tone is very different to the one I had painted in oils, but it is a nice base from wich to start. These are the acrylic tones for this final step:

[IMG]

From left to right and up to down:

Chaos Black
    Oxford blue
    Stone Grey
    Deck Tan
    Basic Skintone
    Scorched Brown (Citadel) + Oxford blue
    Scorched Brown (Citadel) + Oxford blue + Graveyard Earth (Citadel)
    Scorched Brown
    English Uniform
    Sky Blue

I have started giving a general wash of the original base tone to retrieve a mor reddish tone:

[IMG]

After that, I start the work, again dividing the hat in small work areas. I apply the lighter tones in the highlight areas as dots, with the tip of the brush. The paint must be a bit thinned and you have to try to merge every dot with the previous work. It's better to work with very few paint in the brush. The darker colours are useful to add deepness to the shadows, blend the dots with the background tone and dying large areas at your consideration:

[IMG]

More work on the same area:

[IMG]

Now, we pass to the next zone. Keep in mind that this process need a constant adjustment in the previous parts as it advances, in order to keep the balance between highlights, shadows and the distribution of the shades:

[IMG]

Next area:

[IMG]

And the next:

[IMG]

The frontal view, with the inner parts and the peak completed:

[IMG]

Let's start with the upper part of the hat:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It's especially important to keep the highligts/shadows blance in this area, as it's the one most exposed to the light. The completed work so far:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hope you enjoyed it! (y)
    Regards
    FeR
    gordy, gothicgeek, mil-mart and 2 others like this.
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fernando, incredible painting and a very informative and easy to follow SBS. Many thanks for posting .

Cheers Ken
  10. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks, Ken!
    Regards
    FeR
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic painting and a very useful SBS!
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome SBS.
    For what it is worth: I should had stopped painting the hat after the oilpainting. I really liked it that way.

marc
  13. Ferris A Fixture

This is great to watch and follow Fernando.
    You just keep going where I would already have been very happy with your intermediate result!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  14. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Well, it was tempting to stop there. But I really wanted to achieve that fabric texture. I think the result in oils would have been really good for a leather finish, for example. In any case, after all work is finished, maybe I' ll adjust some tones with very thinned washes and other effects. First, I need to see how the different colours of the zones interact together (y)

Regards
    FeR
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    beautifully done Fernando, this is going to be a superb bust when finished.

Steve
    Fernando Ruiz likes this.
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Superb painting Fernado and a great SBS, look forward to seeing the finished bust.

Cheers David
  17. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    great work on that leather!!! me encanta tu trabajo compañero, esperando tu proximo post... saludos a Barna!!!!
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Fernando,

Been following this very carefully as I have one in the box on my workbench , the SBS is simply amazing , THANK you for getting it so informative , great techniques , pictures and the painting is wonderful .......inspiring
    :eek:
    Nap
  19. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Once more time, thank you all for your words and the interest in this process :). It's really nice to know that my work is appreciated.

Let's resume the work. After the hat, the next important part of the bust to paint was the coat. After a bit of research, I saw that it was very common that the fabric of the collar was different of the rest of the coat. I decide to paint it that way to add a bit more of spice to it. At this point, I was confronted with a tricky part of the paintjob; the hat, shirt and the two pieces of the coat were to be painted in different shades of brown. As I had to find two brown tones that matched with the work previusly done, I decided to paint the basecoat of the two parts:

[IMG]

[IMG]

I painted the collar with a mixture of Scorched Brown (Citadel) + Burnt Umber + Chaos Black (Citadel). The lower part of the coat received a mix of Burnt Umber + Graveyard Earth (Citadel).
    I noticed that the shade of the hat was too purplish to work with the other brown parts so I gave it a light wash with Burnt Umber to make it a bit more discreet. Also, I painted the star and the three fasteners of the coat with a reddish tone (Burnt Cadmiun Red) to get a more complete idea of the whole thing:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

After that, I started to work on the dark collar. In the coat, I haven't used oils because the surface was not as bigger as the hat, so the blending work is not so hard working only with acrylics. I applied a texturizing highlight with Burnt Umber and marked some shadows with thinned black:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The rest of the work consisted of additional highlights with Graveyard Earth and a bit of Deck tan plus some washes with Oxford blue and black to merge all tones and darken everything:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The colours of the collar:

[IMG]
  20. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    I worked the lower part of the coat in very similar way. First, a highlight with a bit of Khaki and some shadows with Burnt Umber:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Additional shadows with black and some intermediate tone with Graveyard Earth:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The colours of this part:

[IMG]

Now, the only thing to finish the clothes was to apply a good layer of matt varnish. So these are the results so far:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The next will be about the red wool parts and details such buttons and the emblem. We're almost done!

Regards
    FeR