1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Bolshevik - Russian Revolution

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Jan 25, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following on from my last post ive made a start on the flesh areas,im about 70% through the facial area and will need to have another sitting to finish it off,i normally do this as sometimes some contrast is lost in the drying process,also i'll just tidy up the 5 o'clock shadow area and lips and then hopefully we'll be there,i will also add a tiny amount of gloss varnish to the eyes to give them some sparkle on completion.

many thanks for looking,all comments and criticism welcome

happy painting

Brian
    bolshevik face 1 009.JPG bolshevik face 1 011.JPG bolshevik face 1 012.JPG bolshevik face 1 013.JPG
  2. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Like him so far Brian.The eyes look spot on with the catchlight but I would suggest satin varnish if you need to use it.I paint similar to you, as I always finish the rest of the figure and then usually fine tune the face.In other words I start with the face and finish with the face.
    Brian
  3. TEZZA Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Brian, do like that 5 o'clock shadow really coming along nicely. Look forward to seeing this in the flesh.
    All the best . Terry.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work so far. For my taste the five o clock shadow is to heavy. To massive.

Marc
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The 5 o' clock shadow looks great Brian ,power to the oils (y)
  6. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looks pretty good!!! I have just a thing to point out: on his left cheek, maybe there is too much shadow, it gives the impression that he is very skinny, which doesn't articulate with the rest of the face.
    Despite this, it's veru good to me, nice tones.

Regards
    Pedro
  7. Gerry Active Member

looking good so far Brian! just some fine adjustment on the face and jobs a good un! look forward to seeing this up close
    sometime, and as Ron said power to the oils;) Gerry.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Brian,I have some humbrol satin varnish,I wii take your advice with this,
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much Tel,glad you like it so far :)
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for those pointers Marc,as I said in the post I still have some work to complete with the 5 o'clock shadow,it still needs lightening abit,:)
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ron,I don't like the 5 o'clock shadow too light but Marc commented about it being too dark,as I said I still have some more work to do on it yet,I do intend to make it abit lighter but not to much,the thing is a lot of the face is in shadow so it wouldn't look right being too light
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Pedro,that's a really interesting point about the left cheek area,I didn't really notice it during the painting but I can see what you mean now, I will try to correct that,:)
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gerry,I wish I could complete a face in one sitting but it just dosent work for my style of painting,I always need to go back and re paint areas where the contrast has gone,hopefully I'll sort this out :)
  14. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

No problem ;) It could be the light that was doing that... but if not, a little correction might be in order.
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You always lose contrast with oils in the drying process Gerry ,there are two options you overcompensate in the initial paint or go back in after all has dried which has more control.
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Pedro,no it's not the light,you're quite right,somehow I've darkened it too much and the cheek looks hollow,I'll correct that tomorow mate,thanks for the advice
    Aveleira likes this.
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron, it's frustrating sometimes when you need a couple of sittings,but never mind it can also help sometimes when you have a fresh perspective
  18. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Brian, looking good so far,
    Best wishes, Gary.
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Brian.
    Carl.(y)
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I like this very much, its a great rugged face, which to me suits the era and style.
    Ben