1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Bolshevik 1919 (version 2)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kaz6120, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good painting Kaz!
  2. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Impressive work Sir
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Mike ,you've just made my day.You've put into words exactly what i've been thinking regards the "new style" of painting seems to be taking over from the more realistic style which i'm in favour of and is the style i paint in.
    There's a question i've often asked myself regarding judging.I judged at Euro many moons ago but i would find it extremely difficult to do so now because as a judge you shouldn't be biased, but how can you not be biased since the advent of the extreme style versus the more realistic style especially if there's exactly the same figure for instance,painted in the different styles but are equally of a high standard of painting.I'm glad you brought this subject up Mike.I'm with you on this one unlike many other painters.I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion unlike the Kinks.
    P.S. My personal opinion is that the advent of acrylics has led to this extreme style of painting.
    Brian
    housecarl, Maki and Gaudin like this.
  4. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    103592-3f1dc9cf798557f230553d5c6411f2c4.jpg

bolshevik-27.jpg

The flesh tones in your latest piece wins it for me, but they are both exellent paint jobs ! :) I prefer the sharper look also in the higher contrast painting ...

Carlos
    kaz6120 likes this.
  5. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks everybody, both pros and cons on my work. :)

The reason of Green on the cheek is simply because I use the green for the stubble effect.
    Sometimes I put strong green to exaggerate. I can reduce it if everybody have something on it.

And...Thanks a lot for your great advice and comment, Mike. I really appreciate this kind of straightforward opinion. I prefer this kind of critiques a lot to just pushing "Like" buttons on Facebook. :)

I understood what you mean by trend, problems of exaggerated shading and highlighting on 3-D. In some ways I agree with you, and in other ways I disagree with you.

I have questions to everybody,

Question 1: "What is the real, anyway?" and "What is the natural skin tone?".
    Question 2: Is my 2nd version here "extreme style" and the 1st version "realistic style"? I don't know which style my style belongs to.

I want to hear everybody's opinions.

---

My idea of painting is based on the idea of "Lights define the colors". No lights, no colors. Where lights exist, there always shades, so at the same time, No shades, no colors.

For example, in the extremely dark room with no lights, human skin look totally black. Without lights we cannot recognize any colors. When lights comes into the room and then we recognize it is "Fresh" color. When we put skin colors on figure's face means just putting pigments which look like "skin tone" on the natural sunlight color. So painting skin color is already "painting lightened color". We are already unnatural from the beginning. :)

I used exactly the same colors on the version 1 and 2, but I changed the recipes and how I use them. Put more highlights on the 2nd version to make it look more appearing when I put it on the dark lighting room.
    This idea came from my experience attending Euro this year and other shows in Japan.

P.S. Just to make sure...even if everybody think I'm in the same fashion, I'm not a obsessed follower of Korean painters nor wanna-be. Of course I admire them, they are my friends, and they inspire me all the time, but I want to find my own one and only style.
    Sturm Grenadier, Joe55 and Gaudin like this.
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There! For everyone to see - this is how artist takes feedback and chooses what to do with it.

Kaz, beautifully said (y) .
    Thank you and sorry to flood, there was enough of argument about it in last week alone
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Goodness me has someone actually had the balls to Tell the King he has no clothes on. ;) (y)

Ron

PS still a fantastic paint Job
    Gaudin likes this.
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I really like your version of the Bolshevik Kaz and i like your style which i would say is in the realism category which i prefer.Like you say it's best to find your own style of painting .I stick to mine but i'm always looking for fine tuning it.
    Brian
    kaz6120 likes this.
  9. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Kind of reminds me of one occasion when I visited a high end stereo shop. A customer was enjoying different units and speakers being demonstrated to her, and on one set up she commented, 'Oh ya, that's better'. The sales guy says, 'No, not necessarily better, just different'.

Joe
    kaz6120 likes this.
  10. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kaz! Okay, now that I have had a day away from this, I have to say first, that my first reaction was definitely an overstatement of the facts as shown by the photos of your bust. I am liking the second version a lot more now. I think what i first responded to was that the extreme contrast on the face is not matched by the contrast on the clothing. The deep folds on the clothing do not appear as dark as the deep folds on his face. Yet, the color of the clothing is clearly darker than the skin tone. This is a mis-match. You have used two differing styles on the clothing and face. The first face, to my eye, still matches the second bust's clothing better.

If I had to guess why, I would think that the face was approached with something more aggressive in mind, then the clothing was painted in a less aggressive style. What I really do like about the second face, that i perhaps did not pick up on yesterday, is that you have not allowed the dark shading to encroach on the major areas of the skin tone. So the face "reads" flesh - even with extreme darks present. This means they have been modulated well. Good job! And, in this case, the extreme darkness of the cheekbones is less objectionable because of the large flaps on the hat that render the cheeks as shadow areas anyway. On a more exposed face, I think the dark cheek shading would be too much.

As for terms "realistic" and "extreme", of course such terms are relative. To put this in perspective, I was a model builder long before I ever played around with figures. To me, the object with a model is to create paint finishes that best reflect the physical "look" of an actual real object. On the outside this means having proper surface textures: Matte clothing, egg-shell skin tones, subtle sheen to leather, bright reflective surfaces for metal (when appropriate).

Obviously, ANY shading and highlighting is an artistic abstraction in the sense of a "realistic" model. But shading and highlighting is the accepted norm with model figures. And I use similar techniques on models in order to accentuate detail. That is hardly "realistic". But it does give a heightened visual impact to the model or figure. This is a good thing.

"Extreme style", would be the kind of overpainting I talk about in my previous posting. Typical of this is the soldier with an exposed face whose cheeks are dark brown. A cheek "hollow" - on most figures - is generally speaking a VERTICAL surface. In other words, if we use the "stop-sign" shading method proposed by Shep Paine, the cheeks are a vertical surface and should read as a MEDIUM tone - not shadow. Painting this as a dark shadow, instead, is an exaggeration that fails to correspond to what one would see in "reality" - thus "realism". Yes, THAT is an abstraction from any perceived reality, but that is what I mean by the term.

Looking at your second bust now, I do not think you have carried your shading to that extreme, even though the shadows are nearly black in the deepest folds. This is because you have limited the use of those extreme shadow colors to only a very few small spots on the model. You have modulated very well to obtain such a full range of tones without making the skin appear too dark or too light from a distance. I would also like to say that pushing the highlights further on the second bust was good move. This gives more tonal modulation to the brighter areas of the face and works better visually. I think the first bust could be greatly improved by adding a couple of more highlight tones as you did to the second....

I do not think you imitate the Korean style of painting. I only mentioned this because it does seem to be an up and coming "fashion" in figure painting- and somebody had mentioned the use of "green" in the shadows. This use of complimentary colors is typical of the work of Sang Eon Lee, Calvin Tan (NOT Korean!) and Young Song as well.

Keep up the good work! (y):D
    kaz6120 likes this.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Realistically I think both versions a well above average painting it is just a matter of taste ,regards Euro ! my recollections are that you done very well to come away with a gong so can't be much wrong with your painting and you do have an individual style which I am sure you will further develop, wouldn't get to hung up on the light and shade thing.

Ron
    kaz6120 likes this.
  12. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks everybody, I love this kind of discussion a lot. :)

I've never had such a long and detailed comments and critiques on my work. :) Thanks a lot for your advice, Mike!
    Yes now I see what you mean by mis-match, I agree with it. These are great hints to improve my work better, and great hints to everybody.

(And...I maybe misunderstood the word 'extreme style' a bit. :) )

I use green in the shadows and complimentary colors, I learnt that techniques from their works, I admit. :) But I will keep trying to be different. :)

Again, Thanks a lot for your great advice, Mike. Maybe I didn't reply and answer to all of your advices here now but I read all of your comments and I will keep that in mind.
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Kaz,
    Very nicely done and great face.
    Cheers
    John
    kaz6120 likes this.
  14. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Kaz, Sorry to use your thread to comment. I find this discussion on techniques and styles very interesting and, a little puzzling? I think we, as figure/bust painters, all strive for one common goal: To make our subject matter as realistic as possible, regardless of the way, or techniques, used to achieve it. All of the painters mentioned during this discussion, have all shared there tips, color choices, step by step demonstrations, to help or offer us suggestions, to improve our skills. It is up to us to use them or not. If I were asked: What method or style do you prefer? I would have to say all. I have learned many things about painting figures from the members on this site, regardless of there way of expressing it, to which I am very grateful. So, don't worry, be happy, and just paint. Regards, SG;):)
    kaz6120 likes this.
  15. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Kaz san,
    Here, it is a long time.
    This bust is excellent so that everybody may say.
    This version is more wonderful although the first version was also beautiful.
    I would also like to paint well like you.
    I congratulate you on your completion.

HIKARU
    Meehan34 and kaz6120 like this.
  16. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks John, Sturm.
    Thanks a lot Sturm, and no worries about using my thread. I love this kind of discussion! :)

Hi HIKARU, first of all...I'm glad you're back!! I think everybody here welcomes you too.
    I think ( at least I believe) I have an aptitude for painting busts, rather than smaller scales. I'm not good at detailing up the small stuffs, AFVs, but I love painting them. I still not satisfied with my painting skill. I think my best is yet to come. Let's keep on painting!