1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Body Paint

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Calvin Member

Native americans is not one of my preferred subjects, but I get fascinated by the (apparently) simplicity of this picture, from The New World movie.

[IMG]

The skeleton for the head (1/10) is made with the Apoxie Clay, the rest with Magic Sculpt.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Such kind of face and features are absolutely different from the academic pattern, so the greater effort is about forgetting it and trying to reproduce what one really see, not the idealized one. Not so easy...
  2. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello Luca,

It will be very interesting to see the final result of the mud's paint on the face.
    I hope it wont be a mess on a small figure.
    This is a difficult chalenge. But you're talented you're going to do something good, for sure.

JP
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Great subject for a bust. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.~Gary
  4. Calvin Member

While sculpting, I'm trying to reproduce the dried mud with pigments and white glue on a dummy, but the final look is not so good.

Yes, I am curious too about the movie, the picture was taken from the screensaver downloaded from the site.

The basic mannequin is done, now I'll try to reproduce the head features and the musculature. To be honest, the face has nothing to do with the young guy from the picture, but I got inspired by a picture posted some time ago by Guy about an indian bust and a 90mm original head from a friend of mine.

[IMG]
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Luca, so far so good, looking forward to your next step.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  6. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello Luca,

I have a tamiya putty "tamiya modeling putty for plastic" in tube. The texture of the putty looks muddy. Try it maybe you can do something looks close to mud??

JP
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, May I suggest you do the eyes again. The look like they are going to pop out of his head. They also need to be smaller.~Gary
  8. Calvin Member

I always like every kind of suggestions and critiques, so feel free to comment about it. It's hard to learn without to be corrected.
    Unfortunately, not only the eyes are wrong, but the overall ratio. This because my worse fault is that I do not follow the original while sculpting.
    Anyway, here is just an update. The rear of the head must be filled a little more and eyes and the nose must be fixed.
    Below, the picture posted some time ago by Guy (the greater head is the one used as inspiration).

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, That is a huge improvement, good going. I find when doing a bust or figure's head that it continues to evolve and change through the course of that part of the project.~Gary
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I gotta get this one painted. I have the bust base coated with Humbrol.......now just need the time to do it.
  11. Calvin Member

Another snapshot of the progress. Still need to adjust/add more volume to the head and torso. The right ear does not have the right (internal) shape, but not sure about redoing it.

[IMG]

The main issue is about the overall ratio, because I have not followed a reference drawing. But now I understand an advice from a friend about how learn to sculpt: just copy it. It seems a nonsense zen tale, but it works...
    So here are two heads I'll use as skeleton for the next busts.

1/10

[IMG]

[IMG]

200mm

[IMG]

[IMG]

Pictures are not showing the final heads, but it is just to show you the basic idea. And this is just another try to see if I can reproduce them.

[IMG]
  12. Calvin Member

Not finished yet, but near to the end.

[IMG]
  13. Calvin Member

Fatto!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

for the basement I must thank a friend of mine (it was made using some pelxigas and a cylinder of resin).
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ciao Luca, buon lavoro, il risultato della tua scultura e' molto buono, complimenti.

Ciao
    Roc. :)
  15. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Luca,

how could I miss this?

Let me say this: Your bust is looking very very good to me and I think you have done a very good sculptjob.

Only the nippels are looking a little bit to hard shaped. I think they are looking like glued on to the body. But that is only my opinion.

(y) (y) (y)

The best wishes my friend,
    Markus
  16. Calvin Member

Grazie Rocco, cerco di fare quanto meglio posso, ma non e' cosi facile... ;) :lol:

Hi Markus, and thanks, I'm glad you like it. Yes, the nipples are a bit large, but not so shaped. I think is a side effect of the contrasted picture, on the original they are really thin. As soon I get the casted pieces, I'll post a better picture.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Your bust looks pretty good. It will be interesting to see how you interpret the face paint as shown in the photo.~Gary
  18. Calvin Member

Thanks Gary, I'm trying using pigments and putty, hope to post something soon.