1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Body Of Richard 3rd, Proven!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED, Feb 3, 2013.

1. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Just heard that Leicester Cathedral it is to be.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    I knew that was the favorite place and I believe legally as well it had to be there cheers Pete

Steve
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Steve, did I ever mention I have a nice flat of Richard III? :whistle:
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Not as flat as he is I bet ;)
    DEL, Don, Funky50 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Glad to find an old friend here Ian - give the lads from the White Rose (are they all still there ??) a bear hug from me, and tell 'em I still have my Guns 'n Roses badge ;)
    GunsnRosesbadge.jpg
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I just noticed that your question hasn't been answered and because of all jokes and whimsical humour I was not too sure if I understood correctly and that was a serious question. I thought I'd check that you (or your wife) really want some information. Ignore me if I didn't get it.
    Don likes this.
  7. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Richard was kept for a while as proof that he had indeed been killed in battle, Henry needed that evidence but after that he was interred in a place of honour and respect in grey friars abbey (he was actually popular up North). Unfortunately later (my guess Henry viii's time) the abbey was destroyed and everything under it was left and forgotten. That is until a woman from Scotland who leads a Richard iii group worked out where he was.
    Don likes this.
  8. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Indeed. That also didn't stop some one stabbing him in the arse even after he was dead.
  9. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hello Don,

I'm not sure if his body was really "left there". I think I recall it was dragged back from the battlefield into town, and for a while exposed for all to see - I guess that was not just out of malice but it was important for Henry Tudor that all would-be pretenders our troublemakers would see with their own eyes that Richard was truly dead.
    The body was then buried without too much ceremony in a greyfriars monastery, I think with something like a marked stone "here lies King Richard etc etc". So, he wasn't really "left there", on the battlefield. As you know Henry Tudors successor, Henry VIII, abandoned Catholic religion a few decades later, and had all monasteries destroyed; hence also the last resting place of Richard III must have been lost and forgotten, until now.

It seems that Richard III was very much a man of the North and they say he himself wished to be buried in York.
    Don likes this.
  10. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes apparently a "judas" shot while he was lying naked over a horse, wouldn't want the dagger afterwards!
  11. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    DEL and billyturnip like this.
  12. Don Well-Known Member

It was a very serious question chaps ( have any of you met my wife, then you would know it was serious.) she has this "thing" now that he was abandoned by his followers but is convinced he would be worth much more treated properly in death than to be "dumped" in a field.

Thanks guys

Don
  13. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kinda true- worth much until every one could see he was dead to end any possibility of some one claiming Richard was alive. after that buried and forgotten, but propaganda machine carried on. The car park was build over place where abbey used to be, the team managed to locate the abbey and found the grave where it was described in old sources, hence they found him in the very first trench they put.
    Don likes this.
  14. Don Well-Known Member

I have been very interested in this discovery incase I had a chance of being the next king. I did hear that one of the Hendry's (4th I think) may have had a bit of rough, his father actually having been an archer who slipped his arrow into Hendrys mum (the then queen). The king never knew about this, so somewhere in Englands royalty is an archer, father to the king. Now thats an interesting story, anyone knw any more!

Don
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  16. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Its just been released now that a team have now applied to dig in Winchester for Alfred the Great's remains, now that will be worth following
  17. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    You're talking about Richard's older brother Edward IV - seems someone recently calculated that his father the Duke of York couldn't be Edward's father as he was nowhere near his mother when Edward was conceived. Edward IV could have been very well premature though, so we'll never know. Also, this was a bit of propaganda that was used by the Lancastrians. I don't know if Duchesses in those days would do it with archers. So I guess Edward IV was simply the duke of York's eldest son.
    FYI Edward IV fought at Towton in 1461 I think, a Yorkist victory and the bloodiest battle on british soil, in the snow. Should make a fantastic diorama by Mike Blank.
    Don likes this.
  18. Don Well-Known Member

Thanks Johan that is the chap! It was also mentioned that he was very tall compared to (kingly) father and brothers. About the Duchess and the archer, archers were with the family most of the time, being their bodyguard and I suppose it had a lot to do with the size of his quiver!

Don
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    There was also the fact that Edward was about 6' odd and blonde while all of his brothers were short (even for the times) and dark but again thats not proof per se but again it was used by his enemies to claim he was illegitimate
  20. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    A bit like one of our ginger princes now?...oops too soon?