1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bob Marrion has passed on

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OldTaff, Oct 6, 2015.

1. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    It may not be generally known that the great military artist Bob Marrion has passed on. I heard from his dear wife, Olive, last evening that he had died from multiple cancers, of which he was until recently, totally unaware. He died on Sunday 27th Sept. aged 86 years.
    I've known him personally for many years, from the early days of ' Mil Mod', when he was still in 'The Met' as a dog handler and later in SOCO.
    Most folk will have seen his work in various publications, and his style was at once individual and precise in its detail of uniform depiction. He had a lively, brilliant sense of humour,and was a mine of instant information. His anecdotes of various trips abroad for modelling competitions could curl you up with laughter, and his jollity will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
    His funeral is at Basildon Crematorium on Thursday 8th Oct, 12.00 noon.

Alan
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That is very sad news but he leaves behind a legacy of wonderful illustrations.
    Rest in peace Mr. Marrion.
    Steve likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    So Sad a real artist and a great legacy

My sympathy to his wife and family

RIP

Nap
    Steve likes this.
  4. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Sad news; I love his work.

RIP
    Steve likes this.
  5. swralph A Fixture

RIP Bob.
    Steve likes this.
  6. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Sorry to hear this news
    Steve likes this.
  7. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sad news indeed.
  8. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Very sad news.

Does anyone else remember a range of figures sculpted, I believe by Bob, and branded under the trade name of Olive Figures. They were part of the wider range of brands marketed by Greenwood & Ball in the early 1970's. Mainly of Victorian Military subjects they were sculpted & cast in the spread eagle form & factory animated, as was the more common type format then.

Geoff
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  9. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    Very sad all the greats seem to be slowly dwindling away
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  10. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Yes, Geoff, I believe Bob had a hand in the figure design, and I think John Tassel sculpted them, though I'm not absolutely certain.
    BTW, your avatar pic caught my attention.....what figures are those in what looks to be a Waterloo diorama? Intriguing.
    I will be passing on all your condolences when I attend Bob's funeral.

Alan
  11. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Very sad news, will always remember him.

Malc
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

I've just read this one. He was a prolific artist when I came into the hobby as a young lad. My conolances to his family this year when we seem to be losing a generation of "greats" all at once.

Huw
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is so profoundly sad,
    Without the skill dedication and keen eye of RJ.
    There would have been little inspiration for a key generation of sculptors and
    manufacturers that brought the hobby into the modern era.
    I hope we will all realise what passes with him is a fundamental part of our hobby's history
    So sad
    Paul
    martin tabony and housecarl like this.
  14. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sad to hear this news. Remember his Military Modelling illustrations brought a lot of colour and vibrancy to the magazine when I bought it years ago.
    Mat
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Loved his show reports in MM. He never compromised his standards and always spoke plainly. An inspiring figure.
  16. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Sad news. An excellent artist - I always thought that his illustrations ranked up there with the Funckens and E Leliepvre.

Rgds Victor
  17. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Very sad news, another icon of the modeling world gone.
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    Sad loss
    Steve
  19. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    .so sad,i never met him but admired his work and articles in mil mod. condolences to his family and friends. he lives on in the magazine articles which I re-read quite a lot/badger
    crf likes this.
  20. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for all your condolences, chaps, and they were conveyed to his widow, Olive, at Bob's funeral today. A wonderful service, with a piper, bugler, and a colour party of the ATC, plus a Police Dog Handler with his wolf - sized German Shepherd. All in all, it was a light-hearted, though sad, send-off. Two of his granddaughters are serving WPC's, and led the procession to the crematorium with the piper in front. All very moving, with the mood lightened by some amusing anecdotes from his eldest daughter.
    His work lives on, and is a fine memorial to a good man.

Alan
    Inaki, Huw63, Rich Sculpts and 3 others like this.