1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Blast from the Past: Realmodel Drum Major Goodman 7th Middlesex (London Scottish) V.R.C.

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by rossbach, Jan 26, 2016.

1. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello all,

David Grieve's classic creation (originally) for Realmodel seems to have become somewhat of a rarity. I remember first seeing it in Jean Hoyos's 'Heaumerie du Casque d'Or ' in Brussels during the late '70's. I also recall that during my visit Mr Hoyos was discussing a new release by Hinchliffe with a customer: the Gothic Knight while I was browsing around in his little shop in the Galerie Agora.

I didn't know it was Goodman (found that out much later) but at that time I was smitten by it because I loved everything Scottish. And man....... did he look impressive! Also it was obvious that it was much better sculpted then other figures. It really stood out in the crowd.

More then 40 years later I managed to get hold of one m.i.b. with the help of Steve Kirtley. The instruction sheet mentions 1979 as release date. On the box as you can see in the pics 1987 is mentioned. The instruction sheet contains a certificate of authenticity. The copyright is apparently held by Masterworks but the sheet is signed by the managing director of Realmodel Ltd. A bit confusing. My figure is no 152 of a limited edition of one thousand.

Can't tell you what scale it is in. I would assume from it's size 110 - 120 mm. It's quite large but then the real Goodman was as we all know from the photographs that exist of him a large tall person. No idea what one had to pay to obtain one back in the days either.

Generally speaking I think that certainly when it appeared it was a benchmark figure, that set standards for other manufacturers to be met. The casting is excellent. Although the detail is a bit on the heavy side when compared with what today seems to be the norm, I would say it would still paint up very well indeed.

I took some pictures with my faithfull Huawei (work) phone that can be blown up to show the detail in extremis so to speak. The figure is available for a swap as you can read in the 'Market & Commissions'section. My next historical blast will be of a Richard Almond 90 mm model.

IMG_20160126_202212.jpg IMG_20160126_202224.jpg IMG_20160126_202444.jpg IMG_20160126_202458.jpg IMG_20160126_202515.jpg IMG_20160126_202540.jpg IMG_20160126_202613.jpg IMG_20160126_202703.jpg IMG_20160126_202718.jpg IMG_20160126_202735.jpg IMG_20160126_202744.jpg IMG_20160126_202805.jpg IMG_20160126_202836.jpg IMG_20160126_203013.jpg
    peedee, blaster, samson and 1 other person like this.
  2. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This is a superb figure. I have two. It is really good that there is a piece of Hodden Grey cloth included, but it was a pig to get right. It took me around six months before I was satisfied. Good luck with it.
    Masterworks was a series of figures produced by Realmodels.
    peedee likes this.
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I picked one of these up off eBay a few months ago. It would be a lot lighter in resin, even though the body is cast in two hollow halves.

Mike
    peedee likes this.
  4. Gull Member

United-States
    Ahhh, 'Heaumerie du Casque d'Or ' - fond memories from 1979, when I worked in Brussels. This figure is one of those classics that "got away" and didn't make my grey army. Always regretted that............
    Liam
    peedee likes this.
  5. Huw63 A Fixture

I think it feature on the cover of Military Modelling in 1979 / 1980. Was a beauty of a kit but way too expensive for me as a schoolboy!

Cheers

Huw
    peedee likes this.
  6. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    will be waiting for this one
    peedee likes this.
  7. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I got one in my grey army. Here is a picture of Drum Major Goodman.

goodman1.jpg
    Nap, Tom W. and peedee like this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I remember this one very well. I have always kicked myself for not getting one.
    peedee likes this.
  9. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    The figure is available for a figure swap. Interested? See my thread in 'Market & Comissions".

t
  10. merlino Well-Known Member

Italy
    Lucky you! How can you have a copy? aaaaargh!
    peedee likes this.
  11. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I too have one of these, but minus instructions.

Mike
    peedee likes this.
  12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The last licensed caster and seller of this figure was my sadly passed friend Keith Dennison of Rosedale miniatures in Lancaster.
    The figure was 100mm.
    I had the pleasure to paint four of these for Keith's clients who included Under Two Flags in London.
    Paul.
    Paul.
    clrsgt likes this.
  13. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    More happy memories...Under Two Flags, St. Christopher's Place, just off Oxford Street near Bond Street tube.
    Blind Pew, clrsgt and peedee like this.
  14. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I remember UTF very well. Bought a number of Poste Militaire and Hearne figures there.
  15. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    March 1980
    Military-Modelling-March-1980.jpg
    Huw63 likes this.
  16. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Nostalgia. Brings back many happy memories. At least Military Modelling was still Military Modelling. And for its time Goodman was good. It did set standards.

Paul
  17. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I loved that wee shop UTF, as far as I can remember it was up an alleyway off Oxford Street that lead into a Mews but living in Northern Ireland and only travelling to London once in a blue moon I always had trouble finding the correct alleyway. does anyone know who painted their figures, the shop had some perfectly painted Poste Militaire napoleonics in the cases, I remember the Goodman figure but did Realmodels also produce a Hoplite and a huge Landsknect, at the time I wanted these but could not afford them. I also used to buy lots of Series 77 miniatures from Tangley Model Workshop in surrey, anybody remember that?
    TERRY
  18. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Schoolboy Richie.....must have been the oldest schoolboy in the NorthEast at the time....LOL

See you at the WR Xmas bash mate!

Keith
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Huw63 likes this.
  20. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Terrysomme, The big Landsknect was called Walter Durning and was a Series 77 figure. They did another in the same scale called Walter Plank, a Pirate who, I think Pat Bird named after the owner of the Hobby Chest shop in Chicago. Ray
    Huw63 likes this.