1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Blackfoot Indian Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I was able to pick this bust up on ebay and it was sculpted by Mike Good, a fellow planet member, and this motivated me to do both busts at the same time. Here is where I am at now with the Blackfoot, "Tall Hat"

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The red at the neck is done and the beadwork area has been base coated with medium gray floquil. After drying I will carefully do several dry-brushings of white to bring out the white beadwork. LAter I will put the design in over top of the white.

[IMG]

Here is a photo of both busts on my desk platform with the top hats and, arm and hand to the Blackfoot and the hand holding the cigar for the Mandan

[IMG]

all comments / critiques are welcome
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

You ask for critiques and comments. Well, i cannot find them. Well, maybe highlighting the hair, but i think it is only basecoloured to block in the face.
    So if not, that will be my comment.

Marc
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marc, You are right. The hair is only base coated to block the flesh in and give the flesh I did more perspective.
  4. Brad S Member

Guy,

Those look good. The flesh looks like....well.... flesh! Nice job.

Brad Spelts
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Brad. Thats a great compliment to me. So many painters highlight the facial features so much that they look as tho they used white to highlight cheeks and so forth. I try to have my flesh....look like flesh. After working for many years with the Native American peoples I had alot of time to study their complexions.
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, you need a hobby! :lol: :lol: I can't keep up!!!!! Nice work once again.

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I'm with Jay, I can't keep up with you either, you're to fast for me.
    Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hey Roc.........ya gotta remember......when you're at work........I'm at home painting............when you're painting.............I'm at home painting too...........when you're asleep............haha.......I'm asleep too :lol: :lol: :lol:
  9. Bill Mayo New Member

Guy-

Exceptional work. The Mike Good bust is one I need to pick up. I really appreciate your comment about having been around many Native Americans. Oddly, I have done sweats and pipe ceremonies and yet we rarely see an authentic "Indian" unless you go to the rez (Cherokee or Cataba) or a pow wow.

-Bill
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    So True Bill. Luckily I worked on the Kiowa-Apache reservation for quite some time and with my former work was able to visit all the various reservations located here In Oklahoma. This has given me an advantage over so many painters who also enjoy Native American subjects.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    A couple of photos with the hat on the Blackfoot. There is still alot of work to be done with the feather and decorations on the front of the hat.

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments welcome
  12. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Very well done, so far!! I love to see the rest!

Eddy.
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Eddy..........Now its just the detail stuff to complete which takes so much time.......but worth the effort
  14. johnnyboy New Member

hi guy great job ,great subject as always dude would love to see all your kits in person anyway thanks for sharing bro johnny
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Johnny. Just let me know if you ever get out this way.
  16. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Guy,

that is a very nice paintjob. It´s coming along very good.

I´m looking forward to your next step.

The best wishes,
    Markus
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Markus. I hope to have these done later in the week.
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    In between getting ready for family arriving for the holidays I have been able to get some progress done with the Blackfoot bust. The detail work (beadwork design painted and the feather can take alot of time ) has progressed and the detail on the hat brought out and the feather painted.

[IMG]

The feather was fastened to the hat with 5 minute epoxy and the medicine bag and beads painted. The beads will get a coat of 5 minute epoxy later to give the allusion of glass beads.

[IMG]

The arm is attached to a special workbase I have that is cut at a 45degree angle. The orange putty in Elmers' Tack. I start at the top of the shoulder with the beadwork design and work my way towards the hand.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I now come back and add the next color painting only one color at a time.

[IMG]

The arm is placed (not fastened yet) to the body to get an idea of how the beadwork will look.

[IMG]

The next step is to paint 32 scalp locks that fasten to the arm between the wrist and the shoulder. The holes have already been drilled prior to priming and painting.

All comments / critques are welcome
  19. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    This one has so much detail in it, you are doing a brilliant job

Dave
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Dave. Mike Good has sculpted so much detail into this bust and it has been alot of fun to paint it and bring it out.