1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Black Watch Officer Crimea

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Silversurfer, May 8, 2012.

1. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    I had the luck to get one of the hard to find figures of "The Roll Call" Range.
    It depics an Officer of the Black Watch Regiment in the Crimean war.
    As you can see, the head is nearly finished, but the body needs a lot more work in the next time.
    The quality of this fig is so good that some can think, it paints itself!
    Hope you like it.

Cheers, Thomas
    Black Watch 1.jpg Black Watch 2.jpg Black Watch 3.jpg
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Nice start

Ken
  3. jakbwrhr Active Member

Australia
    Hi Thomas,

Cracking start - the head is superb. I have one in the stash, but am working through my parade of shame before starting on it!

Could i suggest the following...

• The colours on the kilt should be darker... Will try and load some pictures of my old kilt so you can see how dark the blue and greens actually are...
    • The hackle is a deeper shade of red...again will try and post a pic of one of my old hackles...although if it is an "older" hackle the edges will look a bit on the pink side and there would be a bit of pink staining on the diced band...
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Face looks awesome.
    For the kilt: I go with James, it is to light.....but i'm very sure it is the basecoat.

Marc
  5. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi James, hi Marc,

yes, you both are right. It was the basecoat for the kilt and with the hackle I´m not satisfied, too.
    Yesterday evening I made the colours darker, pics will follow.

Ciao Thomas
  6. jakbwrhr Active Member

Australia
    Hi Thomas,

• A few pics that might help - red hackle as was worn on our blue bonnets - the hackle looks lighter in the photo than in reality!
    • My kilt - this was made interwar @1920 but you will see how dark the colours are (hopefully). Also placed my old mess dress waist coat against it so you can see how light the more modern pattern is...(mixing the old with new was the 'cool' thing to do as it wound up the adjutant no end ;) )
    • The diced hose + flashes
    • The top half of a pair of trews - not the pattern is much smaller than on the kilt.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

James

Attached Files:

7. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi James,
    thank you for the photos. Yes, it looks veeery dark! I toned my figure much darker now (hope not too much).
    Pics will follow these days.

Thomas
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Hi Thomas, I have one of these figures too which I have painted. I agree that the kilt should be much darker for that Cameron of Erracht tarton, but the head is looking great. I am sure you will do a great job and I look forward to seeing the finished piece.
  9. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Ah, one of the unholy trinity of painting.....black, white and tartan!:rolleyes: My understanding is that by this time most Scottish regiments wore the standard Government sett (Black Watch). I agree the overall look of the plaid should be darker. A trick I first read about years ago, was that once painted you should apply several light washes of Blue Black oil to pull the various shades together.