1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Black Swan 75m/m romeo and Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Sep 30, 2017.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Finally finished:D

The Black Swan Back Story

Records dating to 1789 posted on the web. The pub sits on the line between North Creake and South Creake and divides the pub in two. It was a known Pirate hang out and had a tunnel going out to the sea at Brancaster. In the UK there is a saying for Credit, “Put it on the Slate” The Black Swan is in the Norfolk history books as the origin of that saying. In one of the rooms was a large piece of Slate on the wall behind the double doors and that is where they wrote what the customer owed and daily specials, hence “put it on the slate”
    In the Middle Ages, ale would have been brewed on the premises from which it was sold. Alewives would put out an ale-wand to show when their beer was ready.

Maureen (my wife) lived in the pub, nicknamed locally “the Mucky duck”, with her parents from 1940 to 1953.
    During the War on one side of the pub was the Land army girls who took care of the farmland. On the same side was an RAF base (Raynham) and on the opposite side of the pub was an American Air Base (Sculthorpe). All three came to the pub for recreation? Maureen and her two sisters bedrooms were upstairs in the back. Pretty soon everyone would go out back to the Bowling green and a large fight would begin over the land army girls until the MP's carted them all off. The girls would watch out of their bedroom windows. They would then get up real early the following morning and run out back and pick up all of the money that had fallen out of the guys pockets. That was there pocket money for the war years?????

Her fathers name is Frederick King and is listed last but one on the list of caretakers of the pub. Pub closed 1965 and is now a private residence. See photo with plaque below from 2016

There are three rats hidden on the premises. The Bar girl is converted from a “scale 75” figure and adapted to the scene. (Ale Wife?)

Taken 2016
    _MG_1962a.JPG

black swan1edt.jpg
    black swan2edt.jpg
    black swan3edt.jpg
    black swan4edt.jpg
    black swan5edt.jpg
    black swan7edt.jpg
    I think the final result turned out OK and is now a part of our family history.
    All comments are welcome and encouraged. I have and extra lamp and wonder if that would be better than the frying pan over the bar by the girl.
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    John
    Babelfish, Edorta, Huw63 and 22 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice John, exceptional work on the Tavern and the figures all superbly painted. Like it
    John Bowery and anstontyke like this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent piece of work John.
    Thanks for the fascinating back history.(y)
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Wonderful work with a cracking back story.
    It's not often we see work that enters into the history of our own families.
    Well done John.
    Cheers
    Derek
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great story, great modelling and great painting... Great!!!! (y)
  6. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Fantastic work (and a lot of it) John! Your barmaid conversion worked out very well. Everything else, including your family history, is just great and I love all the freehand work (and the rats). (y)(y)(y)

My "Irish" father grew up in a small , predominantly Irish Catholic, coal mining town called Locust Gap in Pennsylvania and lived in an old converted 1800's Stagecoach inn/pub with his Mom, Dad and many brothers and sisters. The pub was still operating when I was growing up and readily available whenever we visited my Grandmother who lived there until she passed away. We visited almost every year from Illinois, and after a few weeks, always came back speaking with a strong Irish Brogue. :)

No where near your unique backstory but a legend in my own family history. ;)

Well done,
    Ken O'Boyle
  7. Squiremon PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Fantastic vignette, and what a personal one at that. I will be looking at this often as the detail is incredible. Particularly like the "animation" with the wine spilling out of the jug. Just great work all around.
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Amazing detail throughout John.
    Well done
    Keith
  9. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I found the rats,do I get a prize?:D Great work of art.
    Mark
  10. Jim Active Member

Love it, John!
    Excellent painting and presentation.
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    John....That is just absolutely impressive...To put that amount of work and patience into one vision just blows me away.

Wayne
  12. Phater Active Member

United-States
    John,
    Another epic piece from your capable hands. Great conception and execution all around.
    I know our Maureen in the first picture but who is the other lovely lady? I look forward to seeing it in person this Saturday. We are supposed to be in our new facility.
    Tom
  13. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great project John.
    Gordon
  14. Bohemond Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Great work and excellent painting !(y)
  15. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Woooooow, this is amazing idea, amazing project, amazing craft and amazing result. Great work in all aspects of the scene. Attention to detail, excellent dramatic effect, very good composition, and back story is amazing too. Congratulations on mastering this great and large project. Beautiful work John. My compliment :)

Cheers Borek
  16. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Wow. Great and I want first to ask "Where are the rats", but I found them. I like it very much
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    John

That's real good work like the interaction between the figures ....the bar girl is a great idea and nice conversion ..and a good reason to visit the Black Swan for a tipple .

I say keep the frying pan ..she might need it to "calm" down the punters !

Thanks for sharing this and the SBS

Nap
  18. swralph A Fixture

Excellent scene and paintwork John:).
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Beautifull scene.

Marc
  20. Tonton Well-Known Member