1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Black Primer?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by TWOMOONS, Oct 18, 2009.

1. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    I've noticed a few threads where a black primer was used...now I can never hope to paint like the examples I see here on this web site (unless time is reversed and or I come up with a pair of new eyes), but is there an advantage to using black over the usual grey (or whatever) primer?
    Does anyone else use black?
    And is it black primer proper or just a black matte coating of paint?
    I've noticed that generally, colors used in miniature painting are much darker these days than they used to be...and I agree the figures look more dramatic and "painterly" than they used to. The palette I've used for years actually looks almost pastel now in comparison.
    I don't know if I'll ever get it like everyone else seems to have, but is starting off with a black primer a good foundation for it?
  2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    I recently started using black primer and I really like it. If it's for whites or yellows I will use an undercoat of a similar color on top of the black but for pretty much everything else I paint my oils right on top of the black primer. I think it really helps with shading and highlighting for me. But I say give it a try once and see for yourself. I have not been disappointed yet and will continue to use it.
  3. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the response...so the primer then is a proper primer...not a coating of back paint? What brand do you use?
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Yes, it's just primer. I use whatever brand of cheap flat auto primer Walmart or my local auto parts store sells. Here in Dallas, it's around 5 bucks give or take. Before I primer my figure I place the can in very warm water for about 10 minutes or so to heat up the paint and then shake very very welll and I seem to get a really fine mist of paint that seems to lay down a lot finer on my figure. Once I have a good coat, dry then paint. Give it a try and I think you will like it. I am working on a Napoleonic trumpeter with red pants and I painted the red stright onto the black primer and it is looking fantastic
  5. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    I´m using black primer in my latest figures and seems easier to get that dramatic look in the contrast beetwen lights and shadows. Actually I am not sure.
    For me, black primer has another advantage: you have these places hard to reach black painted since the begining. Let´s say for example the inner part of a kilt.
    I´m currently using black primer from Citadel, very easy to find in Games Workshop.

Diego
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I use flat black from any car spares shop, a fraction of the cost. I find it handy because any bits that are missed appear black obviously, as opposed to bare resin/metal.
    Coverage is no different from grey primer.
    Carl.
  7. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Yup, it's really cool.
    Did it yesterday on one of my figures...I don't paint castings, just my own stuff--and loved it.
    It helps give something of a different palette, automatically for some reason...and that's just what I needed.
    So, I'm in the black primer club from now on...I really like it.
    What's really great about this site is that no matter how far down the road on my journey towards antiquity, I can stil learn something new.
    Thanks to all who replied.
  8. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Phil, one thing you can try, and I forgot to mention it before, if you have trouble with the paint looking "off" for some reason, try spraying dullcoat over the black primer. I am working on a Officier des Guides and his jacket is green and when I went to paint the green on the black primer it just looked "off" for some reason. SO I sprayed dullcoat over it and the green oil paint layed down real nice afterwards. I dont know if it has something to do with the oils bonding witht the enamel dullcoat but it worked. Just an fyi
  9. Einion Well-Known Member

Phil, it would be worth your while doing a search on CMON about this as black priming has been very popular amongst painters of minis for years.

The Sticky Thread in the Painting & Conversion forum has a few links in it already to start you off:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=34306

Einion
  10. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States

Interesting...been away from "military" miniatures in a sense for a long time. Had no feedback from miniature artists as I was doing pop sculptures and lowbrow stuff... and painting canvasses. Better late than never....
    Nothing is as good as this though , when all is said and done.
    Thanks....this place is encyclopedic in scope and knowledge...so glad I finally found it.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Some interesting stuff there Einion, thanks.
    Carl.