1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Billy the Kid Bust Finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well boys and girls, I haven't posted any work for months - so here it is! I have 3 projects in the works right now and this is the first one to finish. This is the long-gone Warriors Billy the Kid bust. Sculpted by Kent Kidwell in 200mm. I picked this up from a friend of mine a year or so back for a song, and to be honest, after looking at the box art I was a bit scared. The piece itself looked nice but there was something about it I didn't quite like. Once I figured out he looked a bit dorky with his hat on, I decided to do a tiny bit of modification. I added the hat strap in lead foil and decided to have his hat hanging behind him on his back. The hair was already sculpted with detail luckily, so it was an easy conversion and really added to his over all depth and look I thought. Oils over acrylic as usual. I am really suprised at how much this guy starts to look like the one "confirmed" picture of Billy once the paint gets on him! A good likeness after all is said and done. A really fun piece to paint. Kinda gets me in the mood for more Westrn subjects. Thanks for looking, any and all comments and critiques are welcomed!

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I couldn't resist having a little fun with Photoshop!!!!!!!
    [IMG]
  2. Angaliel Well-Known Member

France
    Jay Its very very nice :)

I really love the color tones of the differents colths.
    And the color of the hat is really beautifull. Please share your colors :)

I like less the flesh tones. You did paint it well, but it needs some more color tones. Just to attract our eyes to the principal part : the face.

But the conclusion is : really good paint !!

JP
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice Jay, an interesting subject to. I really like it.

Roger.
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hey Jay, nice to see something finished from you. Very neat painting indeed. Keep it up buddy.

Xenofon
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    JP, Roger, Xenofon,
    thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like him!

Jean Paul, you bring up and interesting point. I really had a time figuring out the flesh tones on this guy. Beacsue he has such a "baby face" and the lines of his facial structure were so different than any other face I had painted before, I had a bit of a time getting them to shade correctly. I have to admit, the photos are washing out some of his details as far as shadow and highlight go, bu you are right. I would have liked a bit more oomph in the face too. Next time! Thanks for looking!

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Jay. I really like the way Billy turned out. And you are right.....the photo light did wash out some of the detail. I am glad I had the opportunity to see him in the flesh.

Love that last photo........excellent!
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, as always...too kind! I'll bring him with me the next time I'm over. Thanks!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    JP, sorry forgot my mixes on the hat. If I remember correctly the colors I used on the hat are simply Raw Umber, white and just a tiny touch of Yellow Ochre. I made an effort to shade it with a bit of over head lighting and used white as my lightner in the highlights. HTH!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Lubitch Member

Poland
    Jay,
    This is fantastic painting job :)
    And a great sculpt, so you had easier (I think) ;)
    I have never seen Billy The Kid before (besides cinema) and I'm happy I could at last :)

cheers

Wojciech Lubicz-Lapinski
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wojciech,
    thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed seeing him!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jay, excellent work, I like it very much, I would not expect any less from you.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jay,

It is excellent. I cannot say more. All is being sayed.

Marc
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc, Rocco,
    you guys are too kind! Thanks for the Comments!

Jay H.
    OKC
  14. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Jay
    Compliment nice job Paint
    much expressive one ...... :)

MAB :)
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Although the upper part of the head could have used a little filling out, it's neat to see him without his hat on. With the exception of the Hornet 54mm figure everyone seems to copy what I think is the only identified photo of him.~Gary
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Maurizio, Gary,
    thanks for looking! Appreciate the comments.

Jay H.
    OKC
  17. Angaliel Well-Known Member

France
    Hi Jay,

thx for the color mixes.

I do love the hat more nowthat you told me the colors..

Good

JP
  18. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    My pleasure JP!

Jay H.
    OKC
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Jay,

Great work on the Kid!

He sure was an ugly bloke...

I look forward to see this in the flesh at some US show soon!
  20. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful work Jay,I like it!
    best regards
    christos