1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bill's Holiday Project

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Billhoran, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    Here is my latest project, a Trumpeter of the Chasseurs a Pied, 1870. The figure is based on a painting by Alphonse DeNeuville. As you can also see, I am using a number of resin castings of the Franco Prussian War parts cast up by Brad Liford, which should be available in late January. The sculpting was done just before Christmas, and painting is almost complete. Hopefully I will have finished shots of him by tomorrow.

Bill

[IMG]

Front
    [IMG]

Rear
    [IMG]

Bill's Planet Portfolio

Thanks for sharing Bill, Look forward to the next step
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another masterpiece! You never cease to amaze.
  3. y_wong New Member

Bill's is exceptionally outstanding. Simply amazing. I am impressed.

regards :)
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Ohhh boy.... Bill always likes to impress everyone. That's a truly super job. Way to go Bill.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful job, Bill! You should take a holiday more often!!!

;)
  6. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    Wow! amazing!
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    OUTSTANDING,Bill, (y) (y) (y) !!! Now I can't wait to get my hands on some of the F-P war castings ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  8. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    That's great Bill, another lovely De Neuville in 54mm !!!

Where did you get that illustration by the way, I was able to get the Copernic edition of "l'epopee de la defaite", but this one isn't in my book ... ?

It's beautiful (I mean your figure as well as the painting ;) ) , in fact it reminds me a lot of the Elite Miniaturas Chasseur sapper in 90mm.

Congratulations, and keep those Franco-Prussian war figures coming !!! I really like looking at the pics. that you and our other resident Fr-Pr war man, Jason, post here on this forum ! (y)
  9. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    Johan,

The painting is one I have also never seen until recently. It was purchased at auction in Paris by a friend of mine, who was kind enough to share the image with me. Makes me wonder just how many other (countless) wonderful DeNeuville and Detaille paintings are out there that none of us will ever see!

Bill
  10. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    :eek: !!!

... I've heard about original Detailles and De Neuvilles you could purchase in the 70ies for $1000, I believed this was all "perfect past" now ...

... hm. I'll have to go to Paris next year or so ... see if I can find a De Neuville too.

Congratulations to your friend on his purchase, he's a lucky guy. Lovely painting!

And the great thing about De Neuville is that he wasn't only a great artist, but also historically accurate - his most famous work, "La maison de la derniere cartouche", was critisized I believe for not depicting Marine infantry but instead Line Infantry and a Turco. Well, in fact eyewitnesses confirmed the presence of the 34th regiment of Line inf and one single Turco - Said Ben Something - ... De Neuville was apparently well informed, and is a great source for uniformology. I'd personally love to see, for example, more of his work in which French dragoons are depicted: from what I've seen so far, many if not most Dragoons were still wearing the old pre-1868 uniforms (same cut as the old lancers uniform).

A word on the Chasseur a Pied in this and many other De Neuville paintings : They were his favourite soldiers, and he included them in his work whenever he could !
  11. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Let's hope Mr. DeNeuville doesn't sue! ;)

Great choice for a figure, Bill.
  12. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    Johan, you are right about DeNeuville - he painted what he saw and was clearly very meticulous about detail. Actually, DeNeuville might have had a hard time finding a French Dragoon ... from what I have read not even the Prussians were lucky enough to have seen them very often! French cavalry didn't exactly distinguish itself during the 1870 war.

Steven, I assume you were referring to Troiani ("Let's hope (he) doesn't sue"). I personally think Troiani got a bad rap on that one. Let's give the guy a break.

Bill
  13. georges64 Member

France
    (y) (y)

georges64
  14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wonderful! Can't wait to get a hold of those castings myself.
  15. JVideki Member

Simply rattinfrattenrassehendkermuggenhufffugruff amazing.... ;)

For the last few decades, your figures all look "real".
    Glad to read your posts and study the pics! Inspirational.

Looking forward to WE!

Happy holidays to you and yours, and to all the planeteers!

thks
    joe
  16. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Bill,

Great work !! Can't wait to see the painted figure!!

Just curious, is the bushy beard a characteristic of the period for prussians/germans? It seems to be popular...

-Alex
  17. Billhoran New Member

United-States
    During the Napoleonic Wars, and all the way thru the 1840's, beards were considered dirty and un-military and were generally banned in most armies.

However, beards came into military fashion during the Indian Mutiny and remained popular all through Europe and the US during the 1850-60's, being permissable in most European Armies. When the 1880's arrived, beards had again fallen out of fashion, and a well-trimmed mustache and short hair tended to be more common. You can see this not only in the paintings of DeNeuville and Detaille during the Franco-Prussian War, but also by looking at photos from the American Civil War and the Victorian campaigns (1857-79) - Indian Mutiny, Crimea, Abbysinia, Ashanti and Zululand.

Bill
  18. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Simply amazing. It's almost out of this world that someone can sculpt/paint that quick and at such a high quality.

Greetz,

Gino
  19. suds New Member

Bill,

Now that is one awesome sculpt! Brilliant work as usual and more.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm waiting for your new book eargerly too.

cheers,
    Sudhesh
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Bill just sent me the finished results of his figure.

Here are finished photos of the Chasseur a Pied Trumpeter – painting was finished this afternoon.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Awesome work Bill. I would imagine the paint was still wet when you took the photos. How long did it take to actually paint the figure.

Thanks for sharing with us at the planet

Bill's Planet Portfolio