1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Billman Duke of Buckingham’s retinue Northampton 1460

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by kilsh, Oct 13, 2020.

1. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    0B09852F-0705-40A9-A762-2C3B36488657.jpeg D134A18A-C7C1-40E4-B401-6640E2F50882.jpeg ABD287AA-82A7-40D0-A279-8EE9A8D88B13.jpeg 6D4BAD6D-CC67-41D0-AA35-83F2BF25E79B.jpeg This is the second in a series of busts (the first being the crossbowman from yesterday) I’m painting to represent combatants in the Wars of The Roses. It’s the very popular footman Kit from Altores. I have changed the staff for a metal rod from the resin one in the kit and added the inverted V to form the heraldry on the surcoat in lead sheet. Apart from that it’s out of the box. All in acrylics. It’s a great face to paint but a bit tricky to get right because of the shouting mouth but worth persevering with. The Duke of Buckingham was killed in this battle and I envisaged the young Billman spotting his Lord in trouble and shouting to his comrades to go to his assistance unfortunately in vain.

Cheers

Neil
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    That is excellent Neil! I admire the way you deal with faces - I especially like the bad teeth and the freckles on this chap. That said, it's all of a very high standard.

Cheers

Phil
    kilsh and DaddyO like this.
  3. mortier A Fixture

Germany
    The next Cracker,everithing very realistic
    kilsh likes this.
  4. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    kilsh likes this.
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Neil. The face is terrific; he's one ugly bugger.
    kilsh likes this.
  6. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Another beautiful job Neil! (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    kilsh likes this.
  7. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Spittin’ image of Charles Laughton! Bravo!
    kilsh and Airkid like this.
  8. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork

Mobo
    kilsh likes this.
  9. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely bit of work Neil.
    Made a great job of the teeth and the addition of the inverted V in lead looks better than the painted option in this scale (Nice touch adding the stiching which matches the kit)
    Cheers
    Paul
    kilsh and Airkid like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neil

You've nailed that for sure , really like the way you paint flesh showing will on this particularly on mouth

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    kilsh likes this.
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Neil, superb painting.
    kilsh likes this.
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Lovely work on this Neil. Flesh looks great and the addition of the inverted v is a nice touch.

Neal
    kilsh likes this.
  13. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks all!
  14. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've seen many versions of this bust painted up, and this one's up there among the best.

- Steve
  15. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Steve, very kind!

Neil
  16. Airkid A Fixture

England
    It's so inspiring I keep coming back to this one Neil. The wife says it reminds her of one of our neighbours' lads - he's a football hooligan. You can just see this bloke, in hoodie and scarf, yelling at the ref!!
    Looking forward eagerly to the next one in your series.

Phil
  17. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Superb artwork Neil, the face looks great, rotten teeth and all...(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  18. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Jim!

Thanks again Phil, love your wife’s comparison of him to someone you know! I get inspired by artists like Chris Collingwood, especially his medieval Portraits such as his Richard the Lionheart, he looks like a bloke you know from somewhere. Also reenactors and photographers such as Sam Faulkner and his Waterloo portraits. Much more how I’m sure soldiers actually appeared in real life. The 3rd Wars of the Roses bust is underway, I have 2 more in mind but will move onto some Native American busts before I do those I think.

Cheers

Neil
    Erbay and Airkid like this.