1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Best ink set?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Dr Force, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all

Can anyone recommend a quality ink set that is good for figure painting/washes etc.

Thanks
    Dave
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I like the Vallejo Dave, they don't taste very nice though. :sick:
    Exactly the same as Citadel, but cheaper.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Carl, I'll see where I can source some!

Dave
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    I would second that option. Andrea also makes a nice ink set of six inks. Worth checking out
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dave if you are in town any time then pop into Model Zone on lower level in the Highcross, they have Vallejo stocked in store.

All the best

Steve
  6. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    I know of some people that higly recommend Winsor & Newton inks. You probably need to dilute them a bit. They are supposed to dry fairly quick and leave a satin finish. I haven't used them myself though.
  7. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    "

I tried these and found, as they aged, they developed residue and bits floating in them. This is true of other calligraphic inks too.

I like acrylic inks much more; like the Liquitex and Daler Rowney ranges. They can be expensive but are often on sale in art shops and you get a huge quantity for your money compared to the hugely overpriced Games Workshop little bottles.

The great thing about inks is they're not prone to drying up like paints and they last and last - I have a set of Rotring inks I still use that are at least 15 years old.
  8. outrunthedogs Member

United-States
    I have had good luck with the Reaper brand of inks.
  9. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for all your help and replies.

Carl I think I'll pop in to Model Zone in the Highcross and go grab myself some.

Cheers
    Dave