1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bespoke Perspex case

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Dr Force, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all

Im going to be covering my latest piece and need a clear 3mm Perspex 5 sided box.

Is there anyone in the U.K. who could make one if I submit the sizes?

Thanks
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Its easy enough to do it yourself if you are "handy"! You can get 2 or 3mm acrylic cut to size if you dont have the facilities, tack the pieces with CA, tape up the joins, then apply a bead of clear silicone around the inside seams to give it strength. To hide the joins, I use softwood strip to look like framing. If the pieces of acrylic have been laser cut, you can use Tensol or similar which negates the need for the strip.

423778149_2244186985912343_5806649708545301336_n.jpg
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Rocco82 likes this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, it's not expensive, even if you have to order it cut to size. If you have access to a bandsaw or laser cutter, a 600 x 400 sheet is around £20(y)
  5. Rocco82 Well-Known Member

Scotland
    I've been thinking of this recently. Pretty much as you described above. The silicone is a good tip. Didn't think of that!
  6. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Problem is I don’t have a band saw or laser cutter so I’m kind of asking anyone available to help. I think I’m ok with putting it together but straight edge cuts? No chance.
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Like I said, there are places who will cut it to size for you.....
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Dave

Do a google”Perspex cases” ......lots of options

Local DIY will probably cut Perspex

Nap
  9. Ferris A Fixture

I have ordered some bespoke cases, but in the Netherlands. It wasn’t hard to find several addresses, googling for perspex display case. Shipping through mail, no problem. Suppose similar options exist in UK (even after Brexit :-P ).
    Mine were 3mm thickness, with very neat edges (no glue in view and no frame).

Cost for something for your bike dio I would expect to be around GBP 80 to 100?? So not cheap, but it saves on time and fuss.

I’d recommend to make the case dimension at least 1,5 times the dimensions of the model to be covered, base included. Too tight a fit blocks the view of the model, and gives (me) the impression of being a transport case only.

Cheers
    Adrian
    Nap likes this.
  10. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Perhaps a local school/college has a technical dept [woodwork in my day!] that can assist in cutting/assembling?
    BR
    Ian
    Nap likes this.
  11. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I’ll try google (the obvious Avenue) just thought there might be members who do display cases a bit like model bases.

All good and I appreciate all the advice

Dave
    Rocco82 likes this.