1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Berdans Sharpshooter 1863

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by IronMike, Sep 12, 2021.

1. IronMike A Fixture

Just finished painting the box art for a new release from The Lost Battalion. It's a 100mm Berdan's Sharpshooter sculpted by me. Contact Scott at thelostbattalion@aol.com for more info.

Berdans TLB2.jpg Berdans TLB.jpg
    Briank, Babelfish, Edorta and 24 others like this.
  2. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work all around, Mike!

Kurt
    IronMike likes this.
  3. Zim PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice job Mike.
    IronMike likes this.
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice sculpting and painting Mike.
    Steve
    IronMike likes this.
  5. Jim Active Member

Very nice sculpting and painting, Mike. Looks like Scott will get a few more of my dollars.
  6. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  7. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work!
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mike

Always good to see your artwork , nice uniform colour ...can you share the mix if possible

Good subject as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  9. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, Glad to see you back and sculpting figures again! (y)

Would this figure pair well with the 90mm figure you did of a Sharpshooter climbing over a fence? I know this new release is 100mm and your line from Michael Roberts was 90mm. Curious on the scale difference to the eye of viewer. My initial thought was this would make a great companion to the above figure for a 2 figure vignette.

Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Military Figure Society
    Nap likes this.
  10. IronMike A Fixture

Thank you.

I use oils. French Ultramarine Blue with some Lemon Yellow to make it a bluish green. Add some Naples Yellow to tone it down and make it look worn. You might also try using a little of Burnt Umber to tone it down as well. I used the basic color with burnt umber added for the shadows. Add a bit of white to the basic mix and maybe a bit more Naples Yellow for highlights. For very dark areas and outlining I used Mars Black. The greens vary by photos of the real coat and artist depictions. The range could be from a yellowish green to a bluish green. You might also try Indigo for a blue instead of Ultramarine. Good luck with it. I had to play around for awhile before I was happy.
    Nap likes this.
  11. IronMike A Fixture

The old Michael Roberts figures, including the Berdan's on the fence, were 100mm so this one would go well with it.

By the way that old Berdan's was taken out of production many years ago due to the threat of a lawsuit. If there are anymore out there they would be rare.

Attached is a photo of a conversion IMG_4392.jpg piece expertly done by Kreston Peckham using that old kit. He's a soldier of the 1st South Carolina (Union).
    Nap, Chris Oldfield and Noel Walker like this.
  12. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Wow! I haven't seen that one in years!
  13. IronMike A Fixture

I'm passing it off to Dutch next week.
    Kreston likes this.
  14. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, Thanks for the tip! I still have the kit you referred to and look forward to getting one of your new releases to pair with it. Will you have the new kit for our Show this coming February?

Thanks Again! Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Military Figure Society
  15. IronMike A Fixture

The kit was done for The Lost Battalion. You'll need to contact them.
  16. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it and great to see you back creating military miniatures!
  17. Scott777 Active Member

United-States
    Thought I would drop a note. The kit is in production and will be available at the MMSI show this October. I will be there and am looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends!