1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Berdan Sharpshooter

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by y_wong, Sep 6, 2004.

1. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary,

I will be building my groundwork from the sloping surface of the base instead of on the flat top. I intend to make it slightly cramp.

regards :)
  2. y_wong New Member

Dear folks,

Please see attached picture. Initially I wanted to leave the haversack and canteen by the side of the figure but I decided otherwise.

Attached Files:

3. y_wong New Member

Dear folks,

Enough of the figure. Before working on the groundwork, I need to lacquer my base (a wooden dish) to a rosewood colour.

I used flat lacquer instead of clear and stained it with brown, black and red acrylic paint. Once they are properly mixed in the lacquer and and the mixture diluted to the right consistency, the lacquer is applied onto the base. Never go over the lacquered area again till it is completely dry. Once it is dried, which takes about 10 minutes in an Asian climate, I go over the base with a very fine sand paper to level any uneveness after which another coat of lacquer is applied. In my case a total of 6 to 7 coats were added to achieve the result shown in the picture.

I have attached a picture showing the first coat and final coat of stained lacquer.

Attached Files:

4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Wong, the figure is beautiful, you are a great sculpter my friend.

Thanks for sharing with us the staining of the base.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  5. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Wong, this is fabulous work. A little late to show my appreciation, but its like reading a how-to book. Seeing your project evolve just left me hungry for more. Can't wait to see the finished product. BTW, what sculpting medium are you using?
  6. y_wong New Member

Dear Roc,

Thanks again for the kind words. Hope that you find the brief on lacquering of the base useful.

Dear Francis,

Thanks. It better late than never. i am glad that you find this thread useful. As for the sculpting medium, i am using a 2 part epoxy resin. Due to the short curing time, approx 15minutes, hence I work on small part at a time. It's from the local hardware shop when they are used for mending porcelin, pipes and etc.

7. egen New Member

Hey! It's very nice soldat!
    You really have art's educations?
    And how time per day you spend for your work this fugure?
    I beginner and hope to do like you!
    Good luck!
  8. y_wong New Member

Dear Eugene,

Thanks and a warm welcome to planetfigure. The folks here are friendly and I am sure we will be able to help you if you have a question pertaining to this hobby of ours.

As for the amount of time I spend on my hobby, it depends on when I am free and obviously it also depends on the mood I am in.

Attached is a snap shot of my groundwork. I have used a piece of styrofoam to raise the ground and apply putty to its surface to firm it up.

Attached Files:

9. y_wong New Member

Dear folks,

Attached is a picture of the steps involved in the scratch building of the fence. It is yet to be finished. There is still a few more wooden rails to be built. I think the picture is self explanatary and hope you enjoy it.

Attached Files:

10. diosytexas Member

England
    hi wong. this is better than buying a book. great reading. dave.
  11. y_wong New Member

Dear Dave,

Glad that you enjoy this.

Attached is the completed fence. I will be working on the ground next. Hope you folks enjoy this.

It may be a little while before the next picture posting as I am currently busy with my next project. I am half way thru the research phase and is comtemplating on the construction. I am intending to scratch built the conning tower portion of CSS Hunley with 2 of its crew. One sitting on the hatch while the other is in the hull at the crank. Hope to start a new thread once I constructed the hull.

Attached Files:

12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY,VERY NICE,Wong Yau (y) (y) (y) !!! As for your next project,GOOD choice of subject matter. I hope to see it in the "flesh" soon. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  13. y_wong New Member

Thanks Kenneth.

Attached is the picture of the completed Prussian Knapsack that was issued to the Berdan sharpshooters. For those that like a little write up of this and the sculpting process, you can refer to my website at

http://sg.geocities.com/y_wong62/

just follow the link and enjoy.

Attached Files:

14. Patrick Kirk New Member

Oustanding Wong!
    Are you attending Atlanta?

All the best

Patrick
  15. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Great job on the knapsack, Wong!
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    (y) (y) on the knapsack,Wong Yau ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong, Very nice job on the composition of the figure and the knapsack.~Gary
  18. y_wong New Member

Thanks Patrick, Jason, Kenneth and Gary.

Patrick: I will not be attending. I have never attended any oversea show before and I don't think I will be soon as I don't like flying.

19. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Wong, it looks fantastic,looking forward to your next step. ;)

Keep up the great sculpting.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  20. y_wong New Member

Thanks Roc, glad that you like it. Currently busy with my Hunley and crew.