1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bengal Lancer - Airfix 1/12 scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    This was one heck of an exercise! The large scale of the figure presented it's own problems in that there was so much natural shadowing that painting became a problem, and the basic level of detail together with crude fitting parts was another. The left hand needs completely resculpting to fit the reins (no grip!), and there is a large cushion of milliput needed just to fit the rider to the horse. Still impresive on the shelf though!
    As usual painted in a mix of oils & acrylics. Any shine on the figure is down to lighting - I have no place to get pics in daylight as I live in a flat, so it's spotlights only.

Attached Files:

2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    A view from the other side.

Attached Files:

3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, nice job. Sorry to hear about all the problems, I've thought about doing this kit for ages.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, What a blast from the past. It's neat to still see these older kits being done.~Gary
  5. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Don't let my experiences put you off it If I made another now, knowing the pitfalls such as the left hand not gripping tightly on the reins and the fit problems I'd make a much better job. Just needs a large amount of TLC, but as I said it's impressive when completed just for the colour and scale!
  6. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Beautiful this Lancer of Bengal even if to be a piece
    old but I must say that the horse and very made like all the kit Airfix.
    Good the painting even if the photos do not make to see well all compliment good job.

;) MAB
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,

I gonna like these vintage figures. So if you more of them please feel free the paint them like this one.

Great work.

marc
  8. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Nice Paint job Dave

I have seen this kit come up on Ebay
    from time to time

might try and get hold of one

Frank
  9. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Great job Dave! I myself started this lancer years ago, but lost my intrest at some point. Good work man! :lol:

CheersMikko
  10. iceman Member

Nice to see this kit, being done well. The subject matter is great, I too love the colours, I remember the 54mm they did as well.

Dave I sympathise with the lighting issue.

I got this for my Dad ages ago, he started toying with it, but gave up, blames his eyes. Never thought I'd hear him say that. He was the guy who got me started all those years ago, as I sat at the dining room table next to him watching him paint his 30 and 54mm figures some 35 years ago. A real inspiration!

I'm sure that he still has it in his cupboard somewhere, wouldn't mind retrieving it and giving it a go, although am a beginner and haven't attempted horses yet, so it might not be the best kit for me to do at the moment.

Off topic a bit I know and a bit cheeky, hope that's okay Dave

Frank H

If you're interested in this kit send me a PM and let me know what you'd be prepared to pay, I'm sure that Dad would rather it went to someone who could do it justice than just sitting in a cupboard. although as I said I'm not sure what he's done or not done on it.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Dave, nice work, as you says bigger scale can present problems of their own.
    I've got this in 54mm in the grey army and I can agree that in 1976 maybe standards weren't what we expect today! The figure is quite crude really - however the horse is excellent, in fact one of the best standing horses ever I reckon.
  12. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for all the good words guys. I'm working on some better lighting at the moment so hopefully my future pics will be better.

After all I said, this is definitely a kit worth getting, providing you have the skill and are willing to put some effort into it.
  13. Shane Active Member

Wow, This one brings back memories. I wanted that kit BAD when it first came out. I also remember ESCI had a large scale German infantryman that I wanted.

Shane