1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Bengal Lancer 1901 (AIRFIX 54mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kaz6120, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Mark S Guest

Hi Kazufumi,
    I remember doing this one about 30 odd years ago and enjoyed it very much.
    I still have one in it's original plastic covered unopened box.
    I remember following a Military Modelling magazine article when I did mine which recommended a few conversions which should be done for historical accuracy.
    Now it was a long time ago, but I do remember it suggested that the breast pockets should go because they never existed on the original uniform apparently and also the pouch on the saddle was not supposed to be pistol shaped but rounded at the bottom.
    Now I could never be labelled a stickler for historical accuracy but I'm just passing on some info that I'm totally surprised I've retained after all this time....and I still struggle with the wedding anniversary.
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  2. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi mark, Sorry for sloow reply. Thanks for your comment and info about your building experience on this figure, Mark.
    I don't have any references such as the issue with this figure of Military Modelling magainze, I had no idea about the historical accuracy. So I'm glad you gave me the advice on correcting mistakes of it.

but...it was a little bit late....:) I went so far, I already primed and painted the uniform and I don't want to dig it up again.

so, this time, I take this figure as "tasting good old AIRFIX without fixing it", I left these historical mistakes.

---

OK, here's the progress. I finished the foundation painting on uniform and horse body.

airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-7.jpg airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-8.jpg
    Steve, Jamie Stokes, sarouman and 5 others like this.
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent progress Kaz (y)
  4. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    few weeks have passed since the last post but I'm not forgetting this project, I will finish it up. almost 90% completed.

Here's the progress.

airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-10.jpg airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-11.jpg

This is quite an old kit but still good enough. I really love Ron Cameron's sculpting work in 70's AIRFIX, so I left almost all of the details as it is, trying to see how much I can do to it only by my painting work.
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looks like you have done a fantastic job on this old kit Kazufumi,I built this away back in the 70's.

Cheers David
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work.

marc
  7. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Amazing progress! Kazufumi.

Hi! Kazufumi.:)
    Amazing progress!
    Even if I see, this isn't seen as an old kit.
    A wonderful painting.(y)
    I'm thinking yellow (or, khaki) is the difficult color.
    However your tone is very beautiful.
    I'd like to follow.;)

Mitsutaka.:)
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning as usual Kaz.
    Carl.
  9. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks a lot DaveCox, Mitsutaka, for clicking "LIKE IT":), and thanks David, Marc, Mitsutaka, Carl for your warm comments.

Cool! I like to know this kind of comments who build this kit when it was "new". So I'm glad to know you have built it too.

see also:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19445
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20953

Yes you're right, yellow is really a difficult color like white. Bengal Lancer's uniforms are little bit more Bright Yellow, but I decided to make it into more "used" look after the battle or "worn-out" look. So I used "Tan Yellow" instead of using "Flat Yellow". From a Historical accuracy point of view maybe it is not accurate, but I wanted to add something different.

Thanks but I think I'm still a "stunning wanna-be". I will keep on tryin'. :)
  10. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Man Kaz, I love how you do faces. Very impressive work.
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Agreed! Excellent Kaz (y)

I like the work on the turban and bamboo shaft :)
  12. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thank you very much Mike, Gordy, for your complements.

I'm glad you like the face, I'm trying to do my best and try something new on face every new project. This time I used the different base colors I used before.

Thanks gordy, there's still a lot of rough touches on turban and bamboo, but I like it,too.
  13. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    This is very well made and the painting is excellent. Rgds Victor
  14. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thank you very much Victor, for your compliment.
  15. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    OK, this project has been finished!

airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-13.jpg airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-14.jpg   airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-15.jpg airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-16.jpg
    airfix-54mm-bengal-lancer-17.jpg
    gordy, red tom, Jamie Stokes and 2 others like this.
  16. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    I congratulate Kazufumi completion.
    Indeed it built into a wonderful figure, didn't it?
    A facial expression is amazing.
    The color of the jacket is also very beautiful.
    A wonderful masterpiece.

Mitsuatka.
  17. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
  18. Mark S Guest

Beautiful result Kaz.
    Excellent painting.
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    As everyone has said, beautiful finish Kaz.
    Carl.
  20. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Incredible work Kaz (y)