1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Beneito Miniatures Camel Corps figures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Richie, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have been sat on these a while and only just got around to letting you have a look in the box at these two figures.
    The two 54mm figures depict Camel Corps soldiers from the 1885 Sudan campaign, I do not intend to go through the history of this campaign as the information on the battles is ready available.

Both figures were sculpted and painted by Jose Hidalgo owner of Beneito Miniatures. Beneito's have produced some very fine pieces and my particular favourites are the ranges depicting the Victorian soldiers.
    What I like about this latest release, it has not been defined to a particular regiment, but as Camel Corps. This allows the modeller the scope to paint these figures as any of the regiment below. I know the painted versions are done as Grenadier Guards, but these have such scope to be changed to other regiments.
    The other things I like about these new releases, is the possibility for a nice little vignette by combining these figures with another Beneito's former release MD-11. If you look at the Officer dismounting (bottom of the page) he could be shouting at the bugler sound the alarm and the seated figure thinking "here we go again".

http://www.miniaturasbeneito.com/en/

Guards Camel Regiment: 23 officers, 403 men; 1st, 2nd 3rd Grenadier Guards, 1st and 2nd Coldstream Guards, 1st and 2nd Scots Guard, 10o Royal Marine Light Infantry (RMLI).

Heavy Camel Regiment: 24 officers, 430 men; 1st and 2nd Life Guards, Royal Horse Guards, 2nd, 4th, 5th Dragoon Guards, 1st, 2nd (Scots Greys) Dragoons, 5th and 16th Lancers.

Light Camel Regiment: 21 officers, 387 men; 3rd 4th, 7th, 10th, 11th, 15th, 18th, 20th, 21st Hussars.

Mounted Infantry Camel Regiment: 26 officers, 480 men; 1st South Staffordshire (38th), 1st Royal West Kents (50th), 1st Black Watch Highlanders (42nd), 1st Gordon Highlanders (75th), 2nd Essex (56th), 1st Sussex (35th), 2nd Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (46th), 3rd King's Royal Rifie Corps, Rifle Brigade, Somerset Light Infantry, Connaught Rangers, Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Both figures are cast in white metal and the Camel Corps bugler MV-127 is cast in 10 parts. The second figure of the seated Camel Corps soldier MV-128 is cast in 7 parts. The castings are very nice and dry fitting of the parts is also very good. They come well protected in a sturdy cardboard box, the smaller parts sealed in a zip lock bags and all parts are clammed between two pieces of protective foam. You will also get the usual Beneito quality outer carton box art.

The parts.
    CIMG8979.JPG CIMG8980.JPG CIMG8981.JPG CIMG8982.JPG CIMG8984.JPG CIMG8985.JPG

The box art pictures.
    MV%20127%20WEB-707x1054.jpg MV%20127%20(1)-707x1054.jpg MV%20128%20WEB-707x1054.jpg MV%20128%20(3)-707x1054.jpg MV%20128%20(2)-707x1054.jpg

Some historical artworks.
    2008BU1083_jpg_l.jpg camelcorps-00.jpg 7thhussarscamelcorps.jpg 0c7d89e9e70064c48a3dfce3a8a06e07.jpg abu-klea-s-3.jpg ec2b81b13c86e97b90011c0bf07bbf65.jpg 59f6a831c03c1f677fe65975e7725601.jpg

This is the previous Beneito Camel Corps release that would make a great vignette with the two new releases.
    md-11-1.jpg

In Conclusion.
    Another lovely Victorian release from Jose with lots of scope for the model maker and you get a well presented, sculpted and cast kit from Beneito's. Well done:).
    cheers
    Richie
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers for the extra info Ritchie

Two of my favourite recent releases, but need to clear some of the grey army before I spend any more of my daughters inheritence :p

Paul
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I have these two in my stash and will get them done, some day soon.
    I might even extend the trousers and do away with puttees and paint as Marines.
    but thats as far as I have got,.

Bob
  4. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice review Richie, not sure about the way the bugler is holding his rifle though, looks a bit unmanageable to me. Seated figure is great though, poor bloke looks knackered.
  5. Trex Well-Known Member

Beneito Miniatures has prepared an alternative rifle and left hand so that you can make it with the rifle resting on the ground.
    You can request this at info@beneito.com before ordering.

[IMG]
  6. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    That's good thinking, well done Beneito!
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I will second that, great service too.

Bob
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :D
    Hi Paul,
    You cannot cut the umbilical cord to the wallet, but a little retainers fee frittered away on something for yourself or even better Grandson can never be begrudged:D
    cheers
    Richhie
    DaddyO likes this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great review Richie,
    many thanks for pulling together all of the extra info.
    Two great figures, I have a scratch 120mm CC that is in and out of the WIP draw like a yo yo.
    For me the bugler is a superb sculpt let down by a poor rendition of the bugle it's self.
    For me the bends on the tubing here are too compressed and should have perfectly rounded bends with two turns (four bends).
    Sadly this is a common area for sculptors to not spend too much time researching.
    I think it fair to say that the biggest proportion of M1815 bugles were manufactured by Henry Potter of London as in this picture of one made for the Buffs.
    Sorry for the little moan Mate but I am a bit of a Geek on basic British military instruments.
    All the best,
    Keith
    [IMG]
    Richie likes this.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for the review Richie.