1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Belgium Guides

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by flart1943, Aug 24, 2010.

1. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi All
    Can anyone help me? I am starting to paint a figure of a Belgium Guide Trooper 1915 and I can't find any information for the top of his fur hat (busby?) If anyone can help me with a coloured illustration or a web site I would be most grateful.
    Pete
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Do you have any additional specific details? Regiment numbers? Ranks.. something that would aid in a search
  3. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Sorry Gordy nothing that specific. This is an illustration depicting the figure.
    Pete

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      141.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Top of the busby for wearing in the field on campaign was simply a round circular piece in black leather, this is well reproduced on the metal modeles figure. I had a peek at the top of such a busby in the museum in Brussels - did have to contort myself in the weirdest pose to see the top, much to the dislike of the guardians, but didn't get pictures, sorry.

Anyways, enjoy this brilliant photo dating from way back in August 1914 ;) ...

Attached Files:

5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Pete - Sent you a PM. Would be glad to e-mail the illustrations and photos I have. I've posted some of the images I've collected. As I recall the coat is called a dolman and the busby a colpack. Belgians - please correct me if I'm wrong.

The very ornate dolman is that of a captain. The one the teenage re-enactor is wearing is more typical of a trooper.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

6. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Well I'm happy to oblige ;) just kiddin'

About the uniform : Dolman was only for full dress or for parade in 1914.

Campaign uniform in 1914 :

- black fur colback without ornaments, yellow pompom in front
    - short dark green woollen jacket of the "veste" type, with four pockets (in which they carried ammo for the mauser 1889 carabine, they had no leather ammo pouches of any kind) with crimson piping, crimson collar with dark green piping, yellow metal buttons. 2nd regiment of Guides could also have dark green wool patches on the collar with yellow wool regt. nr. 2. (but not all men had that, only the ones who had newer jackets)
    - riding trousers were of the "lasalle" type, of crimson wool with two yellow stripes on the outside of the legs, and these two yellow stripes separated by dark green piping. Leatherwork on the lasalle trousers was black.
    - in foul weather a french type cavalry greatcoat with cape was worn, this was either a very dark green or a near black colour (I saw one of a lancer regiment and it was practically black). This garment is more seen later in 1914, from october 1914 on. Horse artillery and transport troops wore it in the earlier months also, but I never saw a picture of Guides wearing it in august or september ... but they did wear it later, late in 1914 just before they went into the trenches for 4 years (see illustration by James Thiriar, an eyewitness) This greatcoat could have dark green patches (but of a slightly lighter coloured material, and maybe piped crimson) with yellow regimental number on the collar.

The colours : dark green is to be interpreted as a VERY dark green, crimson is as far as I ever saw a rather dull dark wine red in troopers garments, officer trousers were of more colourful material.

Attached Files:

7. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Thanks

Hi Johan, thanks for your vital information. It is the Metal Modeles figure that I am working on. A very fine sculpted figure.
  8. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Thanks

Hi Dan
    Thanks for the information. You must have a very large and comprehensive archive of First World War uniform illustrations.
    Pete
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I have been collecting from various sources for about 9 years now. Many of the illustrations and photos I sent to you are from Belgian, Dutch, French and British friends, who've always been very, very generous.

Always glad to assist if I can...

All the best,
    Dan