Belgian officer on hippo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello guys!

sorry for my long absence, but I managed to get some modelling done anyway...

He is a Belgian officer in East-Africa in 1916, somewhere around Tabora. Maybe he shot the hippo just to pass the time, maybe it was necessary to keep their encampement safe (hippos are very dangerous and aggressive animals), or maybe he needed to add something to the low rations (many soldiers actually starved to death in this campain due to huge supply problems). I don't know which reason he had, but he sure is proud of his shot!

I did this one because I liked a lot the colonial feel of this scene, as well as the almost sureal looking combination, and of course the challenge of doing the hippo.

All comments and critiques are very welcome!

Best wishes,

Marijn

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Marijn Van Gils New Member

3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello mate, I loved this one at Euro. It is a ittle gem and I will always remember this one, and is one of the hightlights of the show.
    Good job I'm not a vegetarian...... :lol:
    all the best
  4. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    COOL VIGNETTE, Marijn (y) (y) !!!! The hippo looks extremely realistic. Full scratchbuild, I presume :eek: ? WELL DONE, my friend !!!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  5. Brakeet New Member

Cool scratch.. as usual with Marijn. What an impressive hypo ! Dead but full of life...

It makes me thing to another Euromilitaire show entry some years ago displaying an antilope coursed by a panther ! It was so amazing !!!
  6. itifonhom New Member

Germany
    Wow, it looks fantastic!!! Great idea and really good work on it, the hippo is just like is going to move...... Congratulations on that!!!
  7. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Amazing figure and hippo.

Deeply Gold Awarded anywhere :)

JP
  8. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Amazing realism in this beautiful scene Marijin. Great Idea and effort. thumps up :)

Xenofon
  9. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    WoW this figure is simply Amazing, maybe my only critic is the neck, there is something extrange I think is too wide, great figure anyway....
    best wishes
    ER
  10. Ah Marijn

Your work is always an inspiration ... it is so real! A weel deserved GOLD again mate and always a pleasure to talk to you!

Ivan
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nicely done Marijn!

Jay H.
    OKC
  12. Hardy Guest

Great meet you and superb work. Hardy
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    When I saw this in Roy's gallery of show pictures I knew right away you had created it. Absolutely stunning scene Marijin .Beautiful workmanship and painting. One of my many favorites of yours.
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Extremely well sculpted and painted, my compliments.

Keep up the good work and please continue to post.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I echo all of the above. A superb idea and GREAT sculpting and painting.
    John
  16. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Marijn,

Love this one. I must say that your work is always very unique, creative and well excecuted. I think this, along with your obvious skill with putty and a brush, make you one of our hobby's best. Keep up the great work!

Matt S
  17. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Brilliant, as usual.

What more can I say?? Original, unusual and always innovative. Okay, I thought of something.....!

Marijn, I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

MIke
  18. Samuel Pérez Active Member

Spain
    :eek:
    Fantastic my friend, what do you feel creating this pieces?
    Hope speak with you and Mario the next week in St. Vicent (though my english is not good :( I will try myself to communicate well)
    ...and please, help me for the judge work, it's my first time...

best regards

Samuel.

Ps.: Congratulations for your medals in the Euro...
  19. jaime Member

Spain
    Excellent work, as usual.
    Best Regards

Jaime
  20. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guys, the pictures above do not do this piece enough justice. I was lucky enough to have this piece in my judging section at Euro and man, was it a joy to have all the time in the world to really look it over. Well done Marijn.

Stephen Mallia