1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Beginner Panzer Commander bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Peter-Krieg, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Hi, as I said in my presentation post, I have some experience painting miniatures for wargames between 15-28mm, but this will be my first attempt of painting a large scale figure.

I will try to post here the whole process, so you can give me some advice, opinions and critiques.

The bust is from Life Miniatures beginner line: https://www.lifeminiatures.com/product-page/beginners-series-no-1-ww2-german-panzer-commander

I will follow this painting guide published by MrBlack: https://www.mrblackpublications.com/PAINTING_GUIDE_1/p1000980_20527427.aspx

First of all where cutting and sanding down the resin excess and the minimal mould lines. After a dry fit test, I drilled some holes in the head, torso, and wooden base, so I can put each part in a holder for the painting process.
    I also added some Milliput to the neck to improve the contact surface with the head, and get a better union when gluing both parts.
    I washed all the pieces with soapy warm water I mount each part in a holder.

DSC00825.JPG

I masked the gluing surfaces to prevent any paint sticking and get a better bond. I primed it using Vallejo Grey Primer applied with the airbrush. I also blocked the main colours using the airbrush and some masking putty. Now it is ready to start with the brushes.
    DSC00826.JPG
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Good to see this SBS started and really good start , well explained

Personally I fully build and base up the bust I am working on then after prepping and then prime in black like you

Following this with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Very nice clean basecoating, especially the flesh tones & the cap. Following with interest!
  4. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Thanks for your comments.
    Some more progress. Sketching of highlights and shadows.
    DSC00827.JPG DSC00828.JPG

And the blending on the left side of the face.
    DSC00829.JPG
    Nap, Scott Sheltz, Tony Dawe and 3 others like this.
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Excellent work!
  6. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Welcome aboard Peter! looking good. (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
  7. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Completion of blending. What do you think? Any suggestion, advice or critique are wellcome.
    I think I'll try to make a subtle beard effect.

DSC00830.JPG DSC00831.JPG
    DSC00832.JPG DSC00834.JPG
    gforceman, KenBoyle, Nap and 5 others like this.
  8. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Head finished. Any opinion or suggestion is wellcome. Now, to the body.

DSC00835.JPG DSC00836.JPG
    DSC00837.JPG DSC00838.JPG
    gforceman, NeilW, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  9. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work, especially on the flesh tones & cap details.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Catching up a bit on things here ......great to see the way the head has been done and a really good finish on the fiesh and I like the 5 o'clock shadow effect

Your following the painting guide and the result shows how much can be achieved so a BIG WELL DONE

If anything possibly a little more highs and shadows on the hair but that's my thought

Look forward to the next updates .....it's going to be a fine piece and happy benchtime

Thanks for sharing

Nap

PS Would love to see your small scale artwork in a separate thread
  11. Mr Bill Member

Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of work. Results are even better than the manual.

Bill
    Nap likes this.
  12. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Thanks for your comments!

You are right Nap, the hair need a bit more work. I will add some more highs and shadows. Thanks for your appreciation.

I had to repaint the body because I didn't like the colours I achieved on the parka and collar shirt. So I tried again with some different mixes. Here is the progress so far. I had problems to take pictures of the white correctly.

DSC00857.JPG DSC00860.JPG DSC00859.JPG
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Thanks for the updates both areas are coming along nicely with a good choice to change the parka colour ....what's your mix ?

White is looking good , possibly tone the highs a little ...but that's my look at it you have the piece there

Happy benchtime

Nap
  14. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Thanks Nap.
    I started with Vallejo German Cam. Dark Green, and mixing progressively Afrika Korps Tank Crews 336 from Vallejo Panzer Aces. For the shadows mixing black a bit of dark prussian blue. And a bit of white for the final highlight,

The bust is nearly finished, so I will post soon the final result.
    Nap likes this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England

Hi there

Thanks for the mix details ..a good result especially as it's the first

Look forward to seeing the final piece here and in the completed section if you wish

Wonder what your next project will be ?

Do share the smal,really figures you've done in the past as well

Why not view July's winning entries here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/fotm-julys-winners.273062/

Vote in August's FOTM here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...s-fotm-ending-midnight-bst-30-09-2020.268269/

Enter September's FOTM here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/posts/1097591/

Enter our VIGNETTES & DIORAMA comp ending 30/9/20 go to here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...e-diorama-ending-midnight-bst-30-9-20.250127/

Happy benchtime, entering and voting

Nap
  16. Peter-Krieg Member

Spain
    Nap likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England