1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bear Clan Iroquois Stormtroopers New Release

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by stu, Jul 16, 2013.

1. JEF Member

Beautiful!!
    carl reid likes this.
  2. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Guys here is an image of the painting!

Pictures55.jpg

The Blue Uniform puzzled me for a while, but realizing that Robert Griffith (the Artist) is such an authority in this area.
    So after a little research I established that he was probably depicting an Oneida Iroquois, a section of the Iroquois people who sided with Americans during the Revolutionary wars!

It is also possible that the Indian just took it from a dead soldier and wore it as a trophy!

I hope this helps a little

Carl
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    An absolute cracker Carl......it's always good to see figures / busts where the subject has made the same dramatic and stunning hairstyle statement as you and I.
    Nice concept Stu I'm sure this range will be a winner.
    Cheers
    Derek
    carl reid likes this.
  4. Don Well-Known Member

Just found this stunning bust Stu, been missing for a while. Great sculpting and a lovely paint job and very refreshing to see an Indian (North American type) wearing something other than a British jacket!
    Well done Stuart, hope it sells millions and becomes a "classic".

Don
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  5. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Ok, shame on my head :grumpy::meh: That was just the painting I used for my Iroquois but I only "saw" the face and the war painting
  6. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    One of the most amazing things is that this miniature has a Carl Reid signature deep inside it - it's amazing - we can instantly plug the sculptor name with the piece. With this, I intent to mean that it is one of those figures that is not anonymously created: In many cases you see a figure and you can't plug it with the creator. Carl Reid is one of the very few, but really one of the very few that has an heritage on each piece he makes.

Regarding the jacket, in the original illustration, it may not be French, it may not be British, but it can also be a fantasy blue jacket!

Abbreviating, it's like this: Indians appreciated blue jackets. Colonials realized this - therefore, just like merchants going to a fair with novelties from far away lands, they carried blue jackets with gold embroidering just with the purpose of giving them away and trade for peace, land and to conquer the indians trust as allies. As you know - some indians fought for the French, some Indians fought for the English, some Indians fought against themselves while others fought both against the French and the British: In this confusion, diplomacy was also a must - had Hitler used the same tactic in the Ukraine in 1941 and most probably history would be different.

Stories such as this abound: What is absolutely ordinary to some groups is highly desired for other groups. For example the Portuguese almost simultaneously discovered Brasil and the Maritime path to India, and shortly begun commerce with Japan. In Japan the name for this episode is "Nanban Commerce", or "Commerce with the barbarians from the South". What the Portuguese merchants realized was that no matter they met European, Indian or Japanese people: All these traders, Sultans, Lords and Kings wanted to have a Brazilian Parrot - the amazing animal that spoke! :happy: They were willing to carry spices and powder to Europe and the ones so far away had Parrots on the top of their wish list.

An episode of these times: still today if you go to Cape Green and ask for a beer, they give you a plate with shrimps for free and at restaurants you can almost only find lobster at the cost of a dine - in so many countries shrimps and lobsters are rare and expensive and in this lovely archipelago it's the most ordinary meal in the world: They would easily trade lobster for beef!

Going back to the indians again, if you have the chance of picking this book:

[IMG]

Plate C3 shows exactly an indian wearing a fantasy blue jacket - and the supporting text mentions exactly that: Not a captured piece, but something designed with the purpose of an offer.

Jackets apart, this bust just flew to the top of my most wanted! It's just so outstanding! :happy:
    carl reid likes this.
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Stu I really really tried but I crumbled......damn it.
    Can't resist the hairstyle.......
    Cheers
    Derek (squatting behind the letterbox)
    Don likes this.
  8. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Stu, Carl, and Ernesto, Congrats, a great subject, beautifully designed and painted. This one should be very popular. Regards, SG:happy:
    carl reid likes this.
  9. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Arrived this morning, I can't praise the quality of this wee fella too highly it's superb.
    Beautifully cast by Stu, you won't credit how fine the feathers on the headdress are. As usual Carl has sculpted character into the believably individual face, this is a stunning sculpt.
    This is one of these pieces that is so good it makes you raise your game as a painter.
    And the best thing is..this is the start of a series
    LH.gif
    Cheers
    Derek
    carl reid likes this.
  10. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Cheers Del!

I like Bald, Hair is just too traumatic to sculpt, and if I'm honest overrated.... ! LOL!

Carl
    Helm likes this.
  11. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Thanks guys for all the your kind words!
    Its much appreciated!

Thank you!

Carl