1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bavarian infantryman 1870

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Nov 6, 2004.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    :lol: I wish I could sculpt a head that well! It's a Hornet.

Yeah, I like how the helmet turned out too. It was time consuming though, the front bill is three layers of putty, gradually "flared" out with each application. It is an early style helmet (M1845?) and it has a sharp peek.
  2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Jason, any news on this Bavarian fella ??? ;)
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi All, here's the finished figure. Everything painted with acrylics. I did some experimenting with the weathering of the buckled boots. My intention was to give them a very weathered, dusty, beat-up look. I painted the top half with a mix of 169 Black and 941 Burnt Umber- The bottom half 873 US Field Drab with highlights 977 Desert Yellow and 976 Buff.

Thanks for looking. :)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    WOW! A world apart and we're thinking the same thing at the same time. :lol:
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Well !! Good that I asked for some news about this one ! :)

As usual, great work Jason, it's your best yet. (y) Is there a Turco in the works as well ?
  6. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Sure my friend ! ;) I'm still having a peek at your Fr-Pr stuff now and then you know - it's always an inspiration to me ! And good to know that there's a guy on the other side of the planet who likes figures from the same historical period.
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Jason. Although not my period of history, I can't help seeing the quality of work you have put into this figure.......WHATS NEXT?????
  8. Pete_H New Member

Jason,
    Amazing work. What I like the most are your eye for dynamic poses and your clean sculpting skills. Did you sign your soul over to the devil or something? If so, where do I sign up? :lol:

Any chance we'll see some World War II figures sometime? ;)
  9. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    .... Overhere ! Just send me an e-mail !

:lol:
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Guy- Thanks! Whats next? I have an idea for another Franco-Prussian War scene. This period has kept me inspired and motivated after seeing Mr. Horan's new stuff. It's going to be a "biggie"...More diorama than vignette, and has been on my mind for the past 5 years or so. I'll let you know if the composition works for me and then I'll start posting the layout.

Johan- Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's great to see others interested in that conflict too...Still an un-tapped conflict in my opinion.

Pete- Thanks! And NO! He has not approached me yet with an offer. :lol:
    As for a WW2 subject -I'd like to, but I really have to find something that hasn't been done and really jumps at me. As for my "eye for dynamic poses"...Well, I'm not very original when it comes to creating a pose, alot of my inspiration HAS to come from illustrations or other modeler's work. The pose for this figure is from a Carl Rochling painting.
  11. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... Aha! He's going to do Von Bredow's Death Ride !!!! :) At last !!! :)
  12. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Jason,

Very nice work. Not that the others weren't any good but each one of your figures get better & better. I can't wait to see your diorama idea. Get to work :lol:!!

Mike
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Your work is very inspiring and it's great that I'll soon have room on the bench for some other projects. :)~Gary

Here's my guess for your diorama.

The cemetary at Saint-Privat
  14. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Dude, your figure is awesome. You sculpters are responsible for making me feel as a rookie. I mean, lord, you guys are the true artists. Not to take away from the good painters.But when you add to that mastering the art of sculpting, then I figure you are light years ahead of a simple painter as I. Congrats on a true work of art...

Regards
    Francis
  15. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    I spotted Jason's figure in Carl Rochling's painting of the Storming of the Landau Gate :) recognised him almost immediately - it's the guy in the exact centre of the picture who fires at a Turco. Well done Jason !!!!

... Ah ... what will be his next ...
    Ok, my request : Gallifet and the 3rd Chasseurs d'Afrique on the first of September 1870 on the Floing plateau, ready to charge and die, one more time, while the fiery Gallifet (veteran of Mexico, colonel of the 3rd ChdAf, promoted General on the spot on 29th August 1870) speaks those immortal words "tant qu'il en restera un" - as long as there remains one.
    ... he never specified however if he meant one Chasseur or one Prussian ... :(

It was suicidal madness "a outrance", and the King of Prussia (who witnessed everything)himself couldn't hide his sympathy for them.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Just a quick question, what is your mix for the Bavarian's cornflower blue uniform?~Gary
  17. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Mike! See you in January?

Francis-Thanks for the kind words my friend, they are very much appreciated.

Johan-Well buddy, sorry it won't be an "action" scene, and I don't mean to keep you in suspense! :lol: I'm still fumbling with the layout. The project I have in mind is based on a painting by Theodor Rocholl 'Kaiser Wilhelm and Bismark at Sedan, 1 September 1870'. Are you familiar with it? My plan is for an aprox. 7 figure dio with only the Kaiser and a soldier shaking hands as the center point, with the other soldiers cheering. What do ya think?
    I was going through my references last night and I did find inspiration for a Chasseur officer 1870-he won't be mounted however :( but the pose I have in mind for him will fit the subject.

Gary- The color is a bit darker than in the pic. I used equal amounts of 844 Deep Sky Blue, 900 French Mirage Blue and 964 Field Blue. Silvergrey 883 was added to the mixture for highlights and 964 Field Blue for the shadows. I could not find any reference that was truly reliable; so I went through every source I had and came up with something I was satisfied with.
  18. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Yes, I think I know the illustration - good idea, and it will be great to see Bismarck in miniature. And the chasseur officer too, of course ...you already have a title, "Tant qu'il en restera un" ! ;)
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks for the color mix.Great idea. I love the mix of troop types in the painting.~Gary
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Look just above the text and you'll see my approximate face color. Brought on by extreme envy! :lol: ;)

How do you sculpt everything so smoothly? Every surface looks even, round, almost "polished"? A great pose, beautifully painted! What's not to like??

Bring on Bismarck and the King!!

All the best,
    Dan