1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Battle of Aboukir (Pt 1)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi to all and hope you are keeping well. After a week at home I’ve started to make a small dent in the grey army and clear the decks a little so I could make a start on this recent offering from RP Models entitled Battle of Aboukir. The scene depicts an incident during the battle where the French General Murat and the Ottoman commander Seid Mustafa became involved in one on one combat. I first saw some pictures of this proposed project by RP back at the Telford show last year whilst speaking to Hugo and was keen to get my hands on one once released. The first part to be released is the figure of Mustafa. I’ve gone for the 120mm version. I’ve noticed that compared to some other 120mm mounted figures I have in my collection from other manufacturers this seems to be smaller (thought I’m no expert on sculpting/scales)-this isn’t a criticism in any respect, just a personal observation and one it might be worth bearing in mind for anyone thinking of purchasing the smaller 75mm version.
    The kit is superbly sculpted/cast and so far only needed a minimal amount of filling. The horse is cast in 3 parts with Mustafa’s legs moulded in situ. The Arab horse is beautifully rendered even down to the head shape peculiar to that breed. There are two moulded lugs on the base of the rear hoofs to attach the horse to the base supplied. I would normally paint the rider and mount separately but as part of the body was cast on the horse I’ve built it up to where it’s at now then started the painting. It’s very early stages yet and I’ve relied a lot on the Osprey book about Napoleon’s Mameluke’s as a reference re the style of dress and potential colour schemes. I’m going for a chestnut horse for Mustafa on the basis that some of the scant reference material I could find seems to portray Murat riding a grey/white horse. I think the chestnut will help show up the colour of the very ornate saddlery.
    Apologies again for the poor quality of pictures-the camera on the phone doesn’t seem to have the definition quality but I’ll keep at it. One day.....

Thanks for looking,

Neal C3DC6A79-F0F5-482D-A3A1-E4727632F134.jpeg 8412C171-E825-486C-9611-55A7A379BC62.jpeg 51ED4840-F64B-4B0D-A285-DFB4735E74C9.jpeg 0E1F8CB1-79DA-4972-9A05-53F6FE3C12E0.jpeg 5B63ED2C-3B8A-4CD3-8EDA-24D302041658.jpeg
    Borek, Djoubri M, Martin64 and 13 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Woah, following this one Neal. Excellent start.
    Cannonball likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neal

Great to see you painting this , I had the pleasure of researching this for Hugo , along with others

You obviously know there is a Murat !

Looking great so far ....

Following right behind Bob

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Cannonball likes this.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Bob. Thought you were getting into the part of Mustafa reigning in the horse-Whoa!

Neal
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Nap. Was it Mustafa, Murat or both re the research Nap? If it was Mustafa any help with reference material would be greatly appreciated even though I’m quite a way on with him.

Neal
  6. Nap Moderator

England

It was both along with Ivo Preda on Murat ...will dig something out ...meantime your doing a great job

Here's the pictures that started the idea off

Happy benchtime

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/mameluk.33444/
  7. misfit151 A Fixture

Wow that's an impressive piece Neal....quick off the mark...looks great....keep posting..(y). Mike
    Nap and Cannonball like this.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

Nap likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Really appreciated Mike. Had to get this one once I saw it for the first time and enjoying putting my stamp on it.

Neal
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Impressive start on Mustapha. Contacted Hugo to order both some time ago but have not heard back as yet, probably because of.all the chaos of late.
    Cannonball likes this.
  11. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks clrsgt. Managed to get mine via SK Miniatures and I think El Greco have them in stock as well. I believe Murat isn’t due for release until sometime later this month allowing for the current situation. Hope you get sorted soon.

Neal
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Hi there

You are correct any delay will be due to the current situation as Hugo is on the frontline of it in Portugal ...all our best wishes and thanks to him and all emergency services ...no matter where in the world

Neal

Very few close up pictures of Mustafa in action ...that's the beauty of the release ...you can go colourful !

That's some of the Murat references as well

Looking forward to seeing what the postie brings

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Cannonball likes this.
  13. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Nap. I’ve reserved a copy of Murat with Steve as and when they arrive. I was going to use the Rava picture above as the reference for Murat and seeing as the ornate saddle on that was red that’s why I opted for the green on Mustafa’s saddle. Like you say there are so many options colour scheme wise for Mustafa.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  14. Cannonball A Fixture

Spent some time last night working on the horse. I’ve painted the horse in oils over a base of Vallejo Flat Brown. I don’t tend to dilute the oils with any white spirit/turps when doing horses as it gives a slight sheen on the finish more in keeping with the horses coat (or at least that’s what I hope for). I’ve gone for a chestnut colour using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Cadmium Yellow with a touch of white. Shading is with Burnt Umber and a touch of black around the eyes and mouth and white for the highlights. The mix is from an old Military Modelling article on painting horses by Graham Dixey from 1993! I cannibalised my old Mil Modelling magazines when I ran out of space and cut out any reference material or articles on “How to” that I thought would be beneficial. Still some bits to do such as eyes, hooves and markings but it gives an idea of the colour with the green saddlery. 8E0F605B-2260-4C87-9C51-23B47E51794D.jpeg BD03D388-6073-4268-86C4-77F4F9DB51E5.jpeg 80D52E8B-82F2-4195-B3A6-68F64B533021.jpeg
  15. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Really lovely stuff so far. Are you going to be painting a different colour for the damask on the shabraque, Neal? It looks a helluva job!

I have a resin 120mm rearing horse and rider in my GA. As a matter of interest, did you reinforce the back legs? I had thought to with mine because of the possibility of them failing under the combined weight on them.

Jeff
    Cannonball likes this.
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate the comments. The detail on the saddle/shabraque is going to be gold eventually. Undecided on the tassels as yet, whether to go gold with the trim edge or green tassels and gold trim to break all the gold up. As for the horse mounting I did consider putting pins in but the position of the hoof and lower leg would have meant I couldn’t drill up far enough to get the required support without weakening/snapping the hoof from the leg so I opted against it. There are two moulded lugs on the bottom of the horses hooves that marry up with holes in the base provided so I’ve just glued them. It seems a small 120mm figure Jeff and all in resin so the weight issue isn’t too bad.

Neal
  17. Cannonball A Fixture

Some examples of Mameluke saddles 84E870D1-C0A0-4820-A772-241E77BC3F02.png F2BB6A85-8002-4ACC-9225-ED726A347B88.png
    Nap likes this.
  18. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Neal...

Thank you so much for your kind words... Truly preciated...

The scale of the we use a parametric software. I know different companies and different sculptors have different size and the size you have its from software. We just put the dimensions and we did almost everything.

I want give congratulations for the excellent job... I know you will do a fantastic work.

There are a big chance to dont see this post... Im almost living in the hospital... Murat will arrive in a few days and i will start the shipping. I just ask you a little of patience because im doing the double of the shifts in the hospital and they are very heavy...

Thank you so much and keep teh good work...
    With best regards
    Hugo Pereira
  19. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Good luck to you Hugo, & stay as safe as you possibly can. You’re doing an incredible job, as are all medics the world over at the moment. You all deserve our gratitude for the sacrifices you are making right now.

Stay strong,
    Chris
    Cannonball and Nap like this.
  20. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Hugo. Glad you like how it’s coming along. Looking forward to the release of Murat but understand the difficulties involved with that in the current climate. I want to echo what Chris and others have already said on the forum regarding Healthcare professionals and the work and effort you and your colleagues around the world are putting in to combat this virus. It is truly humbling. Keep up the good work and above all, stay safe and well.

Neal
    Nap and Tonton like this.