1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Battle for the Hedgerows 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by RobH, May 9, 2004.

1. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Next installment

Some progress at last! Following on form my initial posting, I made a sketch of what I want to produce - get it down on paper, not annoying my brain!

[IMG]
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Next up the armature.

I decided to go with 1/35 scale, as the multipose M1 Garands scled out too large for 1/32, and the Tamiya/Dragon ones seem spot on.

The armature was made by soldering 3 pieces of wire together using a scaled down image of the proportion image that was on here a while back; he works out at 50mm approx in height.

[IMG]

[IMG]

by snipping out some wire surplus to requirements, I had my basic armature
    [IMG]
  3. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The armature was bulked out with Magic Sculp and bent for some initial testing of the pose.

I made up a basic piece of groundwork for the hedge to test fit my figure:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

The legs have been fixed in position and some boots have been added from a Dragon figure......these will be detailed in time.

The groundwork is subject to change. This pose is proving to be more complicated than I had anticipated so there is still much to do!!
    Need to work on the upper body, and find a suitable head (Hornet, methinks), and the Hedgerow will probably gain more height in due course!

Any comments and critiques on this are totally encouraged and mandatory! Your assistance is appreciated!

:lol:

Rob
  4. Pete_H New Member

Hey, cool-looking concept! The pose would also look good on a sand berm below Omaha beach's seawall :) Also, which Dragon set are you using for spare parts? They've got a "beach assault" set coming soon, and their "Army Rangers at Pointe-du-Hoc" would really work nicely for spare parts.

Keep those pictures coming!
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Pete

The Dragon set is the 2nd Infantry one in the short lived Camo HBTs.

I'll probably go with the tamiya M1 as the detail is crisper, although the dragon ones look more the part!

Seen the forthcoming Dragon kits, at least Ron's line drawings. Probably worth getting for the box top illustration alone!

Rob
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent Rob!

I like how you went about doing your armature, very neat! I love the concept and Im looking forward to see your next installment.
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great so far Rob! I like how you sketched out your scene. Wish I could sketch out ideas (too many)...I would probably spend more time drawing than modeling. :lol:
    Looking forward to your next step.
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Lookin good Rob, keep at it, hope to see more soon.
  9. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hey Rob, nice sbs. Great idea for the sketch and the armature, gotta try starting one of this.

Keep us posted please! ;)
  10. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks folks!

Progress has been made! More fleshing out of the body, and the addition of a head really helps him.

Pics soon!

:lol:

Rob
  11. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Actually got some pictures done sooner

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

not sure on how the head will be positioned exactly......towards the viewer, to the side......mmmmm. Thoughts anyone?

Everything else seems ok, unless anyone else thinks otherwise!
  12. Pete_H New Member

Rob,
    Yeah, the Tamiya weapon sets have far crisper detail than anything Dragon's ever done. As for field gear, take a good look at Royal Model's 1/35 equipment set. Their helmets alone are worth the price. It also comes with photo-etched webbing, as well as resin ammo pouches, packs, 1st-aid pouches, etc.
    Speaking of the new Dragon "beach assault" set, did you notice that it's nothing more than the "Op.Varsity" set with leggings? IMHO, not worth it if you've got the Op.Varsity set.
    BTW, the head's looking good just the way it is.
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Rob,TOP NOTCH work so far (y) (y) ; the pose looks EXCELLENT !! Keep up the good work.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  14. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys

Pete: I'll have to check out the Royal Models set, thanks for the idea.

Calvin: Lose steam 3/4 through.....I need to stop myself losing it at 1/4! Seriously, one of the good things about posting here is 'commiting' yourself to a project; it does help me!

Kenneth: Looking forward to the uniform sculpting - hopefully something soon

Rob
  15. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hi Rob

I think the head's position looks fine, like if he's waiting for his mates to help him... that's my thoughts :p
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    A swell project, Rob.

But, contrary to Daniel (above post), I think that the composition would benefit of the figure looking FORWARD at an unseen enemy through a gap in the hedgerow.

Explanation HERE ;)

Quang
  17. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Excellent concept and work so far Rob, I can't wait to see it.

Quang offers a good alternative, though I also would be torn (like John) about not seeing the figure's face unles viewing through the hedgerow. I guess I'd have to see it.

Lou
  18. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Folks

Following on from Quang's suggestion and subsequent discussion, here is a slightly alternative mock up of the figure:

FRONT VIEW
    [IMG]

LEFT VIEW
    [IMG]

RIGHT VIEW
    [IMG]

The groundwork was quickly made using Super Sculpey, and the foliage I found in a tub somewhere.

Seems to work..........Maybe a round base might work better?

I like the idea of the quietening hand signal, and may use this in a later project.

Think I'm nearly there!

Thoughts, folks?

Rob
  19. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I've also begun some sculpting of the gaiters........

[IMG]

work to neaten them up required, and details in time........

Rob
  20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Rob!

Great job on the repositioning, it looks great from all angles! The feel of the guy really just looking over the top really works. Looking forward to see it progress more!