1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bases

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Knikki, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Knikki Member

United-Kingdom
    I was mooching around looking at bases, wooden, plastic, plinth etc and noticed that some that are 30-50mm in dimension are designed for figures up to 54mm.

So how large a base would you do for a single figure of 75mm or 120mm in height?
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    A rough guesstimate 2/3 the height of the figure Nick.
    What looks right really. You don't want the figure drowning it, and you don't want the figure lost.
    I don't know if that answered your question?
    Carl.(y)
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

That rule of thumb Carl posted is a good one to go by for most straight-up-and-down figures. In terms of fairly flat, 'featureless' bases (just a patch of dirt or grass) that sort of size will nearly always work.

As he also says it's about what looks right as well; a little larger or a little smaller can be what looks right depending on the model in question - for a figure standing at attention for example I think smaller base dimensions can be just the ticket, but a base of this size will often seem to crowd another figure of the same scale standing in a more causal pose.

Obviously this can go out the window if you want to include more to set the scene - fountain, corner of a building, doorway, building rubble, gatepost and a bit of fencing, table and chair etc., if you want to include any of these the base dimensions might have to exceed the figure's height.

Einion