1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Base 54mm Scratch

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Frank-Holger, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Frank-Holger Member

Here is one of my Bases for a 54 - 75mm Figure. As you might know, I am more into the fantastic figure sculpting, and this goes for my bases, too. I like the idea of rotten, weathered stuff, industrial, metal and in the same way as detailed as possible.

Here you can see such a Base, work in progress. There will be more weathering and detail painting, followed at last by metallizing effects. All painting is done with Enamel- and Oilcolours, using different painting techniques.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9086/base1001od0.jpg
    http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2675/base1002gf8.jpg
    http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/392/base1003ck8.jpg
    http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4088/base1004pf7.jpg

Comments and Crtique are always welcome,and thanks for looking!

Frank
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Frank,
    I like the base a lot! I hope the wood at the bottom, if it remains, won't have the paint bleeding over on it. What figure do you plan on placing there?

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Frank, Nice job on the base. There's a lot to learn here regardless of your interests. What figure are you going to put on it?~Gary
  4. Frank-Holger Member

Hi Roc, what is that crap above? Can you please remove it?

Thanks guys, for your comments! I will use a figure I sculpted, it is shown in scratchbuilding somewhere. A figure I sculpted in the terms of Takayuki Takeya, some kind of Insect Man. He will be painted soon and placed on that base. When that is finished, I will make my Borg Base complete, finish the Borg. In between, my 120mm Alien will be tackled (and a lot of more projects, sight!)

And yes, here are so great guys and girls and so much to learn that I do not know where to take the time from to manage it all!

Frank
  5. Frank-Holger Member

Ah, Jay, for the wood, I have a special treatment! It will disapper after finishing the base.

Frank
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hi Frank, thanks for bringing it to my attention, it's gone...... ;)

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Frank, If you are talking about my comment you're reading it wrong. All that I am saying is that WE don't just learn or improve our work by looking at military/historical figure/bases but fantasy/sci-fi as well.~Gary
  8. Frank-Holger Member

Gary!! NO, NOT YOU, mate! Didn´t you see the posting of this guy who wrote a lot of links to playsites and something like that? I mean, hey, what has that to do with modelling! I informed Roc to remove it (thanks a lot!) so everything is fine.

Gary, your comments are always welcome! I think I can learn so much from your great craftmanship!

Frank (and sorry that you thought I meant you!)
  9. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Spectacular !
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Frank,
    Very very interesting base. Lots to see. Nicely done. Hope you lets us see the finished Figure on it on completion.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Frank-Holger Member

John, of cause! I hope to finish the base this weekend, than I can show it with the (yet unpainted) figure to have an overall arangement. For the figure (you guess, it is some fantasy, too) I haven´t determined a paint scheme, but that will be done, too.

Thanks for looking!

Frank
  12. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Frank that is fantastic. (y) I think that figure painters sometimes get stuck in the standard wood base with some groundwork on top and that's it. I have seen some very imaginative bases on PF and in my local club where we have discussed the topic many times. I know in my latest project, the base/groundwork have taken on a life of their own.
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Frank,

Cool looking base, the T2 figure from Andrea would look cool on it. ;)

Joe
  14. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Frank
    the base is much beautiful one and promises well
    attends to see a beautiful piece put over good job.

MAB :)
  15. Frank-Holger Member

Thanks a lot, guys, for your comments! Yes, that "usual" design of wooden bases (and anyway how good they are) leaves me thinking of how I can make something different, something unusual...

OK, Mauritzio, one of your wonderful Napoleonic Soldiers would not fit to a base like that; here are the wooden bases more in use, but to all that strange stuff something like an industrial base will fit well.

I have found a site in the net with interesting pictures (maybe you will check it out: www.abandonedplaces.com), here you can see how imagination can run wild.

I will finish the base this weekend I think and post final pics next week. Than we will see how it works with the figure.

Thank you all!

Frank
  16. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    hey mate !
    i reckon you should sculpt a 54-70mm Necromunda ganger like an Esher; would look killer on one of those bases! good job mate. ;)

regards timo.

p.s - cheers for the 'tip', joined up, cool site!
  17. Frank-Holger Member

Thanks, timo!! Yeah, but do you have some illustration or pics from that figure? At the meantime, I am doing a tribute to Takayuki Takeyas SITTING HELL in 75mm and a Borg in 54mm. To my opinion, those to figures comes out not bad, I will post pics soon.

Cheers, Frank
  18. Calvin Member

Hey Frank it looks good, you still need to highlight it, no ?
    I got some links with a lot of fantasy/horror and so on drawings, I must see where they are on my bookmarks and send some, there are some nice ideas if you like settings.
  19. Frank-Holger Member

Calvin, that sounds very good! Please try to find them, so I can add it to my collection of inspiration!

Yep, the painting is WIP. There are a few things to do, so stay tuned. I will finish this base within the next days, I hope, and than I post the pics. Maybe I wait till I have painted the figure I will put atop!

Thanks!

Frank
  20. Calvin Member