1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Baryonyx.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gorgosaurus, May 28, 2008.

1. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    I´ve managed to put some time and effort into this 1/20th kit of the English Dinosaur Baryonyx walkeri.
    [IMG]
    Sculpted by my American friend Jon Rader, it´s available from Rader Studios at http://www.raderstudios.com/products.html

I thought I´d ruined it whilst disguising the joins, but, like the bulldog I am, kept at it.
    After some re-skinning and initial paintwork it looked like this...
    [IMG]

For the first time ever, I experimented with some washes of transparent colours.
    [IMG]

I liked working with them and what they did, so added more...
    [IMG]

And more...
    [IMG]

Some final detailing and dirtying to do now.
    The dirtying gets done after finding a suitable base and laying down the groundwork.
    That way everything ties in and matches.
    Some different brands of paper foliage will get tried out.

Until further, I´ll leave you with this gaze...
    [IMG]

Spike.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking great Spike.
  3. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Man, those are some nice browns!!!!
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautifully done, Spike!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    COOOOOOOL!

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Thanks.
    It´s been way too long a time since I got this close to finishing a figure.

Spike.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Spike,

Love the Baryonyx mate, beautiful colours and shape.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you go with the paper plants, and seeing you bring it all together.

Cheers
  8. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    it is looking very realistic, very good painting
  9. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic job Spike, great browns indeed. Scary looking bugger isn't he
  10. Mark S Guest

Nice work,Spike.
    Those washes worked well.
    I'm looking forward to seeing him in-situ with the rest of his dinner.
  11. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Thanks, everyone.

Tony, experimenting with different types of paper foliage is going to be a must for this one.

Spike.
  12. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Spike, I realy enjoy looking at your work, you skin textures are outstanding
    Tommi
  13. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think I was married to this guys sister once... .
  14. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Any kids?

Spike.
  15. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    A cheap base almost always looks like a cheap base.
    If you have spent time and effort on turning out a really fine model figure, it deserves a base that looks good.

Having said that, I´ve found acquiring top-quality finished bases large enough for my Dinosaurs is difficult here in rural Jutland. So, I´ve sometimes resorted to unusual solutions.

I found a beech-wood trencher at a charity shop, just the right size for the landscape I intend for Baryonyx.
    Nor did it come so cheaply, as despite a few dents and cuts it looks almost new.
    Having filled the dents and cuts around the edges it has been put to one side to set properly.
    Next it will receive several coats of gloss black housepaint, followed by several more coats of gloss varnish.
    When I´m satisfied it looks good, the landscaping can begin.

[IMG]
    I´ve already chiselled out a rough depression, on the right-hand side of the green line here, to serve as a river/lake edge.
    When the groundwork is nearing completion this will get filled with artificial water. A partial filling of plaster/pva-glue mix minimises the amount of artificial water needed.
    Step-by-step images will follow to show how things progress.

Spike.
  16. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Well, I tried...

Scored the centre of the base with a Stanley knife and set a dozen or so small carpet tacks in to give the groundwork something to hold on to.
    Smeared a Polyfilla/pva glue mix over the central area as a foundation for the final ground cover.
    Sprayed the edges with primer, then a few layers of gloss black.

[IMG]

Cyan area indicates shallow water, deepest lower left, just a wet mud-slope upper right.
    Dark green spot is where to drill an angled hole, I fix all my Dinosaurs to their bases with brass wood screws.
    2 green footprints show placement of the feet, the brown one where I´ll impress a track.

It looks alright. But I can still see where some of the cuts and cracks were...

Drastic action will be taken tonight/tomorrow to stop this looking like an old chopping board painted gloss black...

An image should follow by Sunday.

Then I´m going to try my hand at paper foliage for the first time.

Spike.
  17. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Ahhhh, this looks better.
    A few coats of that expensive Granite-effect spray and some varnish made everything even out.
    There´s a kind of stony, prehistoric, fossil feel to it too.
    When everything else is finished we´ll see if a darkish ink wash is necessary to dull things down a bit.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The white is just some extra filler, not snow!

Tonight, a thin covering of tinted plaster will be poured over the foundation for the groundcover - smoothing things down and filling out to the edges.

So, I´ll just post this image of the look/feel I´m going for -before ol´ Bary gets dropped in the mud.
    Yes, I do manage to do such like almost every time!
    [IMG]

Spike.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Spike,

Mate, Jurrassic Park eat your heart out. He's coming along beautifully.

Have you planned your vegetation yet?

I'm very keen to see what you do with paper plants. Caterpillars and eggs wasn't it?

Cheers
  19. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Thanks, Tony.

Here´s a smile only a (scaley) mum could love.
    [IMG]

Paper foliage... hmmmmmm - Proving more tricky than expected (and I expected tricky!).

Painted my first trial set with transparent water colours and got some very nice effects.
    Wait a minute... given the Danish climate watercolours might not be the smartest choice.
    A quick spray of matt varnish should seal things.
    Abracadabra - everything changes colour!

So, next trial set gets an acrylic wash.

Or maybe I´ll just do stalks and say the caterpillars ate everything... :cool:

Spike.