1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bartolomeo Colleoni

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by robinh002, Apr 13, 2010.

1. robinh002 New Member

United-States
    please can someone advise me on painting the Fort Duquense bust of Bartolomeo Colleoni .
    1 were his eyes very dark (brown)
    2 what Dover Art Book did Jim Johnson use as a reference to get the pattern for the tunic ? this was for the box art work and he used a book of patterns , i do not wish to copy his pattern but the book could be usefull
    3 colour ,s for tunic & pattern , should i keep to red , yellow, gold,light brown , yellow , ochre &dark &avoid blue & greens
    would welcome any suggestions am painting in oils , if possible could Augie Rodiguez ashe sculptrd this excellent piece possible advise on this ?
    4 is there any way if practical to paint the armour in style of old masters who did not have metalic paint &what colours were used (again in oils )
    5 this may have been on med rem forum ? but am not sure ?
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

If his eye colour is not recorded then I'd just go with whatever suits your taste that goes with how you paint him - if you do him darker and a bit swarthy then brown eyes would probably work best, if you do him as paler with grey or white hair then blue or green could look okay.

I think you can really do just about any historically-appropriate colour and pattern given his financial means.

You can do this but I wouldn't really recommend it for this scale.

It works okay for small-scale figures but even then the illusion works best from a fixed viewpoint, like in a photo. In the round, where you're rotating your viewpoint and the highlights are fixed the illusion just doesn't tend to work right, even when painted really skilfully.

If you do want to go this way then everything should be painted appropriately - so all effects of sheen and reflection should be painted illusions and the finish needs to be entirely matt.

Einion
  3. renarts Active Member

United-States
    On the larger scale figures and busts, I've seen some excellent results from guys using Alcad metallic paints. A quick perusal of some of the aircraft forums and a search of topics calling out Alcad or NMF (natural metal finish) will give you plenty of techniques and tips using this paint system. It really is great stuff and they have several "finishes" that can make for some nice effects.